ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 205 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Along with hurricane ties, it you do not install them properly, and maintain them to the letter and document it, will void any warranty you may think they have with them

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
G
The warranty is written such that you are really only covered if you find a clip that is defective before you install it.
It is also only for 90 days the way I read it.

I suspect you guys will be hearing more about these connectors as insurance companies and building officials sift through the rubble to see what failed.

I would suggest you get your B/Os, trade groups and maybe unions to arrange seminars from the Simpson road show guys. It is entertaining as a general rule, you probably get CEUs and you will learn a whole lot about the product.

Greg Fretwell
Interesting update, stories going around that electric will not ne back 'till Thanksgiving, at the earliest.

Seems the reason today is 'we have to rebuild the infrastructure'??? Another is that there is some mysterious 'underground transformer' somewhere that is shot, and they have to convert to a pole mount!!

Communications are brutal, same response..'it will be on tonite'...sure.

John
G
I know it is hard to endure but you are all better off if they actually do fix up the base plant and not just "put a penny in the fuse box".
I always fear that if they just do what they have to do to get the lights on, they may not go back and make it right.
Then you are setting yourself up for all of this again next time.

I have been talking to people I know all over up there and my first thought is you have to part with some trees or bury the utilities. I know when I was in Md before the 4th looking at the no name storm that ripped the area, it was pretty much all downed trees.
FPL is right up on the edge of rude how they decide a tree is too close to a primary and cut it DOWN. Nothing can encroach on that 10' ROW if it is more than about 8' high

Greg Fretwell
Just an FYI, todays & last nites reasoning for no power is...homes require inspections.

That said, I totally understand that, but...why is it almost 2 weeks gone when JCP&L decided this was necessary?

THe out of state POCO guys have been thru my neighborhood at least 3 times, now JCP&L wants DCA (State &/or Twp) inspections. Why dis they not mention this last week?

As to rebuilding the POCO infrastructure that has been neglected for a long time, do it! I'm not crying, I'm frustrated. Tell me it will be out 'till Christas, or Nov 30th. Not the 'will be on by tonite' stock answer.

John
G
What is the scope of these proposed inspections?
Are they just looking for water damaged equipment or is this an Easter egg hunt looking for any kind of violations?
If it is the latter, expect to be in court.
We have seen 4th amendment cases about people who deny access to an inspector.

Greg Fretwell
Greg:
Supposedly, the electrical meter & panel. I have not seen or heard anything yet, only our mayor on a local talk radio station.

Like I said, comm is worse than atrocius (spelling)

I'm fielding calls from my work Twp while cleaning up my home.

John
G
I think one of the best indicators will be AFCI/GFCIs. If they are not holding, the circuit is still wet or compromised.

I am not sure how you best strike a balance between safety and customer satisfaction. I suppose looking at the high water mark in the house would be a starting place.
The drywall should be a good indication of that.
I have not heard of any mandatory inspection plan here from the government but insurance companies will do it if there is a big enough claim.

Greg Fretwell
I'm glad to see the ECN family past and present made it through ok! The salt water getting into terminations and low height devices is going to be the major headache.. Time to bust out the meggers..

H
Guys,

I am back. I was without power for a 6 days and no internet for 12 days. We got our internet/cable back for a day, then a Verizon guy cut the lines. So we were without cable/net for another two days. All we could do is watch old DVD's of or read books. My one office was without power and internet/tel for almost a week. The Tue. after the storm The whole town was without power. Same for the next 2-3 towns. The transmission lines that ran through the woods were knocked out. The POCO ( JCP&L) had to walk through the woods and drag poles in order to replace the broken ones. You would go the the local shopping mall and see 30-50 POCO and tree trimming trucks there. It was a welcome sight to see those boys. Since the last storm Irene came and went and you didn't see POCO boys around at all. They also have a shop here in our town but they were all deployed down to the shore. ( It was Memorial Day weekend last year)

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard