ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 376 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Reno:
FWIW, flood insurance is only 'needed' if you have a loan/mortgage on the property. It's optional for me, and last year, we debated dropping it. It should be interesting to see what the outcome of my claim will be.

As to 'homeowners' insurance, I did not say 'evil' I just stated that anyone that lives in an area as I do, be careful about staying current on the premiums, as it will be tough or impossible to get new coverage.

A lot of us who live along a coastline be it ocean, gulf, bay, whatever know the possible consequences. Heck, New Orleans didn't become a ghost town after Katrina, did it??

I kind of agree with Greg on most of his points, but he is more of a 'gambler' than I.

John
G
Part of my thinking is I know a guy who does "chinese drywall" houses. He can redo a house from the FEPA/C to finish for about $20k.(new drywall, carpets, cabinets, trim and paint). With a $10k deductible I am paying $3000 a year for $10,000 worth of insurance.

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
Greg, you bring up an interesting tangent: screws in place of nails. Mike Holmes (of TV fame) get the credit for this one ...

The nailing schedule and the connectors are based upon NAILS. Not screws, nails. Use screws, as Mike did ... he was not able to drive nails into the engineered lumber he was using ... and you learn that you've violated the 'listing and labeling.'

No matter that everyone 'knows' that screws are better than nails. The code wonks said 'that's not how it was tested,' and began to debate what sort of screw .... while the testing labs piously said 'we don't know.'

Well, thanks to Mike's TV show, with the clear footage of the specified nails failing to penetrate the lumber no matter what the crew tried .... amazingly enough, connector makers found ways to accept the use of certain screws.

Just as amazing, store shelves suddenly had boxes of mini-lay bolts next to the connectors, screws that were suspiciously similar in dimension to nails. Got to love the free market at work.

I note that the FEMA offices are closed today, due to the weather .... I bet the folks at the Post Office are laughing at that!

G
Florida has a performance based code. If the engineer puts screws in the detail as an option, with a schedule, screws are legal. There are certainly withdrawal ratings for various screws. Now that they have strip loaded screw guns, we see more screws being used.
Simpson put the screw thing in clips to rest when their engineers signed off on Simpson brand screws ... funny how that works.
Most Simpson connectors also have a rating for a bolted connection. You can tell by looking at the clip. If it is a #10 round hole it is for a nail/Simpson screw. A ~3/8 round hole it is OK with a bolt and hex holes imply 1/4" TapCons.

There is a cut sheet for these clips with all of the engineering details and legal attaching options, similar to the application chart on a box of wirenuts.

The typical truss strap we are using is rated close to 3/4 a ton each. (1450#)
Whatever option you choose, all of the holes that size must be filled.

Greg Fretwell
G
I heard a disturbing thing on the news here. They said the PoCos were saying they couldn't start working on the downed power lines until they fixed the switching stations.
I assume it is just a news misunderstanding but I would think they could start on the visible damage right away. I assume you guys have a hotline and a web site where anyone can report a downed line.

I can understand they may need power to locate less visible things. (blown fuses etc)

Greg Fretwell
Greg:
Communications with the POCO where I live (JCP&L) is primitive to say it kindly! The 'call' # most times goes to a recording robo system, and asks for your phone number. After 3 times, I actually gave up. Back to the regular #, entered my phone #, and failed, waited about 45 min & got a person. She found out that my # in their system was off by 1 digit! After that got the stock answer 'by Saturday 11:59PM, unless there is additional damages'.

All that said, the crews from Alabama Power said this Monday at 6PM that they were waiting for the 'office' to OK closing the cut-outs/isolators on our primary for the neighborhood.

I'm running off of a gen! Others are not this fortunate.

The major complaints are NO communications. Tell people some info. Yes, the nor'easter caused additional issues.

There were some comments made by some of the utility workers from other states that the system we have (JCP&L) is antiquated, and poorly maintained.

John
A quick note. I heard back a few years ago that using screws had to do with shear issues, not pull out.

Something with TECO hangers I think.

Not an argument from me, just what I remember hearing.

John
G
Screws in hurricane clips have to be their screws, not just something you get at the hardware store but the same thing is true about the nails. They have to be rated for the clip, not just a bright common.

Greg Fretwell
M
Greg:

Do the special screws or nails come with the clips i.e. a bag full attached to each clip or do you have to buy them separately?

I am just trying to figure out how somebody like me(who has no idea what a Hurricane Clip looks like), would know the right ones to use if I was to come down from Canada after a storm to help my aunt and uncle in Kissimmee rebuild?

____
MB

G
The screws come separately as do the nails.

This is a link into the catalog for hurricane specific clips but if you back up a page to products you can see the other things they have

http://www.strongtie.com/products/categories/hurricane_concrete-masonry.html

This is the only style screw Simpson will sign off on in their connector.

http://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors/screws-loadrated.asp

Greg Fretwell
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard