ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
I'm back (sort of) Hard to believe but I called Verizon (Fios) Sat and a service tech was here at 10:00AM today.

Still lacking electric and hot water. Got a roof over my head, four walls, and uninjured. There are many, many others that are in real, real bad shape. Destruction is mind bogling to say the least.

As to Les (LK) I have not heard from him in at least 6 months. He is in Middlesex County, which has serious electric issues.

Gas lines, coffee lines, line lines, but it will get better as the days go forward.

BTW, there's rumor of a nor'easter coming for Tuesday!!

John
All good there John,
Great to see you came out of this one OK.

I'm a tad worried about Les though, he hasn't posted here in ages and after losing his wife a while back, I don't think he ever really came back from that, although that isn't really for me to pass judgement on that, I'd just like to know that he is safe and well wink

It's a funny thing, (although very few people are actually laughing about this), some people did have power and I had heard (even over here) that some people that did have a power supply were offering free of charge at their gates, a cord and often a multi-board for folks to charge their phones.
It is things like this that instill faith in human-kind, when it all turns to crap, at least people are out there willing to help, without holding their hand out asking for remuneration.
I hope that a lot of people, because of this disaster, have become closer to thier neighbours, or at least found out who they were.

Best of luck over there, folks, my thoughts and prayers are with you all.
And please guys, keep us updated, when you can. smile

Last edited by Trumpy; 11/05/12 05:41 AM. Reason: Typo's
G
John, any guesses about when you get power back? That seems to be the biggest casualty after the storm is over and the water recedes. After Charley we had friends without power for 2 months. I hope they get you back soon.

Greg Fretwell
Greg:
Thanks for the thoughts!!
Yes, there are people that are 'helping'; someone knocked on our door last evening bringing hot food, and would not accept any type of donation.

Yes, I offer 120 volt to my neighbors to charge any devices, and a few of us are sharing gas runs for the gens.

All in all, the 'things' can be replaced. Life cannot.

I'll poke around & see if I can find Les.

John
G
a few of us are sharing gas runs for the gens

Yup they called it "feeding the monster" in Punta Gorda.

Is the state looking into their building codes yet? After the storms of the 90s and 2000s Florida looked at what failed and tightened up our codes. They may be taking it a bit too far now but the basic idea is sound.
These are basically performance standards that depend on engineering stamps but they have settled on some basic designs.

I am hearing that a lot of the houses on the shore were originally built as summer cottages, perhaps with spotty code enforcement and it is fairly recently that they became primary residences. I am not sure how much of that is true tho.

Greg Fretwell
I just spoke to Les on the phone, and he is OK and well.

I have his landline if anyone wants it via PM. He indicated he will pop in here soon.

John
G
We haven't heard from the Caper either. (Harold)
Last time he was on was 10/29.

Did Boonton get whacked?

Greg Fretwell
+1 John, smile
Thanks for getting Les on the phone.
I'll sleep better tonight knowing he is OK.

I received four short emails from Harold. He is OK, and has partial internet access at one of his towns. (11/4/12)

He indicated he is busy, and OK!

I got a new mandatory evacuation call 10PM last nite to be out by 6:00PM Tuesday 11/06/12. Nor'easter on the way.

I'll be around time permitting.

John
Cat Servant
Not to quibble over a technicality .... but what's this talk about 'hurricane ' Sandy?

Wasn't it only a tropical storm by the time it hit the coast?

Well, you got your wake-up call.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard