ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 184 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Cat Servant
A pair of thoughts on the topic...

First off, the excerpt from Holt is nice- but misleading. It confuses the maintenance disconnect with the emergency stop. The 'emergency stop' switch is not required for residential tubs, and is a completely separate issue.

Here's a thought: What about having the maintenance disconnect within the equipment compartment of the tub itself?

Of course, the issue may be academic; I've observed many tubs where a simple HVAC disconnect is used - the type with a pull-out tab that the technician can easily put in his pocket. Hard to beat that for LOTO.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Y
In other than a single-family dwelling, a clearly labeled emergency spa or hot tub water recirculation and jet system shutoff must be supplied.
I thought it was pointed out very clearly????

Cat Servant
Yesterday the Mars Rover found a rock.

What's the above comment have to do with this thread? Nothing at all.

Emergency disconnect? Just as relevant to this thread as the Mars Rover. The OP clearly states this is a house. Period. End Stop. We have no interest in discussing the emergency disco.

Nope. What we want to discuss is how the maintenance guy can work on the thing, and still meet code.

Code language does not seem to address the equipment compartment of the tub itself. No, you measure from the tub to the switch, etc. I can't see how having the disco inside the equipment compartment creates any hazard that's not already posed by the pumps, etc. in that compartment. I'm really beginning to like that approach: put the disc 'under the hatch.'

Heck, if you measure around the open hatch, you might get the magic '5 ft.' distance.

Disco has to be visible from the equipment being serviced - not to a bather in the tub.

Disco has to be accessible - not 'readily' accessible ... so it's OK if you need to remove a panel.

G
Micromanaging situations like this in the code is why it is almost 900 pages long and growing.

The AHJ, by definition has the "authority" to look at a unique situation and make a decision. The code will never be able to address every situation. My old boss summed it up best when he said "Just be sure it is safe".

My decision, based on the original question, would be, Can a person stand in front of that disconnect and turn it on without being seen by and seeing the guy working on the tub.
I think he implies that you can see the enclosure, just not the switch handle.

I suppose you could frame the question another way. If you had a post mounted disconnect in the middle of the deck with no obstructions at all but facing the other way, would that be within sight?

Greg Fretwell
Y
And a Nice Rock it was!!!
680.12 Clearly States 2008 NEC SHALL be located at LEAST 5 ft horizontally fr0m inside walls.UNLESS separated by open water or Permanently installed Barrier ect.
Disconnect cannot per code be inside compartment.

G
I wondered about that myself and one way I could see it is if the cover was 2.5' wide and hinged up. Then the "shortest path required to reach the disconnect." might be 5'.

I have not seen that many listed tubs but I wonder if they do have an internal disconnect. Of course if they are cord and plug connected, that is the disconnect.

Greg Fretwell
Y
Most Tubs I've seen come with internal Disconnect Switch.

Cat Servant
Ahh, but there you have it, Youper ... the pumps and equipment are under the tub, so any disconnect is an infinite distance from the inside walls, measured horizontally.

You could go 'horizontally' all the ay around the world and never reach that disconnect; 5ft is apiece of cake!

Gentlemen:
Please go back to Renos post on page 1, and my comment on page 1, before we go down a wayward path....

John
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard