ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Did we ever figure out what brand and model this was. A question to the manufacturer might answer all of our questions.
I agree with Reno, something ain't right here. It is almost like it is missing a back part.

Greg Fretwell
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Cat Servant
There's no grommet for the center hole; that's the sort of hole used with post-type mounting hardware. (You know, the short bit of threaded nipple with a little cap).

Routing the wires to that center hole would place them in direct contact with the bulb.

My first pic shows the wires exiting a hole that has the edge rolled over, as if to protect the wires.

Brand is "Utilitech," which I gather it Lowes' "house" brand.

T
twh Offline
I doubt that it's missing parts. It's probably a poor design. As manufacturers have to compete with lower and lower quality, lower price takes priority over quality and even usability. The big stores don't care if you can't use the product, they got you to buy one, anyway.

G
I am starting to see Reno's point. Didn't U/L install this thing to test it.

I did poke around a little and I found the light but there were no installation instructions that I could find

utilitech GU8013-WH-I ?

Greg Fretwell
M
And the big box stores figure that most of the people buying their stuff are DYI and don't know if it meets code or not.

They DYI's figure if they big guys are selling it, the product has to be legal.

The wires are allowed to be in the canopy, aren't they?

[Linked Image]

This fixture, like Reno's, is meant to be mounted on a flat surface. Both have ample canopies that are meant to be on said flat surfaces with no irregularities like stepped siding. Not directly to an outlet box.

This Home Cheapo Hampton Bay fixture is UL listed in both Canada & the US.

G
I've hung thousands of these. The wiring of the luminaire is not a code issue. As long as its listed and the splices themselves along with the building wire can be contained within the box, the luminaire wiring can lay in the canopy of the fixture.
That said, I wish manufacturers wouldn't do this crap. NEMA needs to tighten up.

Cat Servant
Sure, wires and connections can be within the canopy, but ...

Fixtures like the one posted by Electure have but two mounting holes, and those holes do not line up quite perfectly with any box. Instead, there is a separate bracket that is used to attach the fixture to the box. The bracket not only allows you to line the fixture up just right, it provides an entry for the wires into the box.

My fixture not only has a multitude of holes, seemingly placed to accommodate any box .... there is no bracket. Attach the box directly to the fixture, and there is no path for the wires to take.

That's what has me scratching my head.

T
twh Offline
Maybe it's intended for a handy-man. They don't use boxes, anyway.

Reno,

The mounting holes in the fixture I posted line up perfectly with the holes in a 3/0 box.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard