ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 376 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Chicken and the egg.

Does the cable contractor and Telco contractor determine where the IBT is, or does the electrician determine where it is?

Is there a maximum distance between the IBT and the other systems?

Can I have multiple IBTs?

Just stirring the pot. smile

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

George:
I agree with Greg.

That said, consideration as to where the telco/cable/etc demarcs are has to be addressed. An IBT could/should be located at the MH bonded to the GE system, or at a pedestal IF that is the demarc points for the cable/telco/etc.

Is not the purpose and intent of the IBT to 'provide' a point of connection to the grounding system? IMHO, it should be at the demarc location.

John
Larry:

The IBT location is determined by the EC. It is in the vicinity of electrical meter, or service point.

In 'rehab' (service upgrade) the battle on occasion is 'who connects the telco/cable/etc grounds/bonds to the IBT'??

That was a battle in the begining, now most ECs will make the termination. It's basically "Good Luck" trying to get any of the LV guys to do it on rehab work.

John
G
Satellite may be the tough one. Those guys site the dish depending on where the bird is. Then they drive a 3' rod and connect it with 10ga wire.
When I pointed out that it was required to connect this to the IBT the installer (trunk slammer) cocked his head like a puppy and said "we don't do that".

(actually more like "no lo hacemos")

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
I suppose we could get all excited, and fill pages with learned discourse, but I have to ask: Are we accomplishing anything?
I mean, what happens if there's no connection between the low voltage stuff and the grounding electrode?

The worst I can see is that the LV stuff gets toasted when lightning strikes. Oh, well ... after a few such losses, the LV guys might actually learn the value of the connection.

Or, will they? With decades of experience behind us, if the ground connection accomplished anything you would think that they already knew it.

You can't push a rope. Maybe this IBT thing needs to go the way of the Volkstead act: away!

G
The short answer is they never learn because it is usually the customer's equipment that gets blown up. They pass the cost on to their insurance company and we all pay.

The thought is, if we provide a common grounding terminal the customer might put pressure on the provider to use it if we explain why it is there.

In my case, I let the installer do what he was going to do, then I fixed it.

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard