ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 278 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
ayrton Offline OP
Hello, I am not familiar with AFCI because I strictl do Comm and Ind. I did the electrical work on my brother n law's house addition and ran 14/3 to feed receptacles in two new rooms. Two single pole AFCI (SquareD) breakers are not working. It will trip as soon as any load is applied to receptacle. Obviously because neutral is shared. I have read conflicting things on another site. One person states you can use a 2pole AFCI for multi branch circuits. Anothr said Square D doesnt make two pole, and another siad you CAN use two single pole. Can I run a white wire in between the single pole breakers? Any help would be great!

T
Run 14/2/2 -- AFCI demands dedicated neutrals for its logic. Period.

Tesla
G
You can't use a pair of single pole AFCIs. There may be a 2 pole AFCI that will handle a multiwire circuit but I haven't seen one.
The AFCI has pretty much made the residential multi wire circuit a thing of the past. Using more copper is probably cheaper than the 2 pole AFCI to serve it.
(or so Schnider says)

http://static.schneider-electric.us...t%20Interrupters-AFCI/0760DB0203R902.pdf

Cuttler Hammer may have a "classified" AFCI breaker that is listed to fit in a SqD panel. I will not start that argument here wink

Greg Fretwell
A
ayrton Offline OP
Ok, well the house is closed up and painted. What would you suggest I do? I have a 14/3 run to the second floor, where 14/2 goes to one room, than 14/2 to another. How can I make these AFCI. I assume the inspector will come in with a AFCI tester to plug into random receptacles?

If I am remembering correctly (this was late spring when it was roughed) I put a j box in the attic and ran the 14/3 homerun to it than split off to 14/2 to each room. I suppose I can eliminate the red on the multi wire and just use one circuit for all. I hate to do it, but if the two pole AFCI breaker will not support the single neutral I dont have a choice.

Last edited by ayrton; 08/16/12 01:26 PM.
G
If you can't find an acceptable C/H classified breaker for your panel I think you are in trouble.
Make sure you get the listing documentation for the breaker and I think they come with a sticker for the panel.

YMMV as to how your AHJ feels about classified breakers.
It is probably worth a call before you shell out the $40-50 for the breaker.

Greg Fretwell
A
ayrton Offline OP
Originally Posted by gfretwell
If you can't find an acceptable C/H classified breaker for your panel I think you are in trouble.
Make sure you get the listing documentation for the breaker and I think they come with a sticker for the panel.

YMMV as to how your AHJ feels about classified breakers.
It is probably worth a call before you shell out the $40-50 for the breaker.

I am a little confused? C/H...Cutler Hammer? From what the other fellow said nothing I do will work with a multi branch. If you see what I wrote at the bottom of my last post, I think that is the only solution.

G
I believe CH does have a 2 pole AFCI breaker that would work with a MW circuit. The question is whether it will work in your panel. Is this Homeline or QO?

Greg Fretwell
A
ayrton Offline OP
QO

G
I put the question in to C/H. Let's see what they say.

Greg Fretwell
A
ayrton Offline OP
Originally Posted by gfretwell
I put the question in to C/H. Let's see what they say.

Ok thanks. I put in a call to Eaton and left message. I also contacted customer support via email

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard