ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 473 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Cat Servant
As I progress on my remodel, it occurs to me that I've overlooked something: What about the wires that will pass from within the house to outside the house?

I thought of this as I was laying out the forms for a concrete pad. That pad will hold my air conditioning equipment and, maybe, a generator.

I'll want these things tied into the house alarm system. The alarm system might also get some outside cameras. When I build a deck, I'll probably want to run some speaker wires.

So, it occurred to me .... maybe now is the time to pre-install some chases for these wires to pass.

Have you ever done anything like this? How would you do it? Nipple with a pull can on either side? Other ideas?

G
I know it may not be the first thing electricians think about but maybe you should ask your wife where you can put a box. wink

It is always a compromise between aesthetics and the reality of where you can get the wires to go.

I would go with a bell box on the outside wall, then you have a lot of flexibility. I am also a 3/4" smurf tube fan for things like this, not the "LV" orange stuff.

I put a lot of smurf in my last remodel and after it was all done, I still need another one. My wife put a TV where "there will never be one". I am left with a cable strung 8' across the floor from the nearest LV box.

Greg Fretwell
I put 3/4" PVC in the ground when the bulkhead construction was going on. I go with Greg, on using 3/4"; 'smurf' is not a popular item here, I used NMFC (Flex PVC); nice & no ridges.

Exterior 'extras' were bell boxes, & a few PVC 4x4s.

John
Cat Servant
My house has 2x4 framing. I think Raco makes 4-square boxes of a 'double depth,' that would have a 'front' face even with both sides of the wall. Just put mud rings on both sides, face plates as usual.

You know, that might be just perfect for this task.

Link Copied to Clipboard