ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 255 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
A
Albert Offline OP
I assumed that daylight harvesting was a relatively new technique, originating in recent concerns about the environment, sustainability, etc.

So I was surprised to see the following item on p. 32 of the June-July 1935 issue of “National Radio News”, a publication of the former National Radio Institute home-study school:

“In Wallach Bros. Store, Fifth Avenue, New York, illumination is kept constant by photoelectric tubes. Regardless of fluctuations in daylight, the interior of the store is always well lighted. These tubes automatically function to turn off and on enough lamps so that a constant degree of illumination is maintained”.

G
If you look at the old factories you will see big skylight windows in the roof. This is not a new idea. Electric light is the new idea.

There are also some very old technologies for collecting and storing heat. This was done a lot in the desert where it is hot in the day and cool at night

Greg Fretwell
M
I read somewhere that some of the big box chains are now putting in skylights to reduce their day time lighting costs in conjunction with their energy management systems.

A Walmart has skylights and daylight sensor control, it was done 3+ yrs ago. A few warehouses have installed some type of light tube for daytime 'free' lighting. A recent office reno installed one (1) light tube that has a 2x2 troffer look. That caught my attention when I turned the light switch 'off' and it remained lit. IMHO, a neat look, but what if the person prefers a 'dark' office for computer work? It could not be shut off in daylight!

John
J
Install a blind. Then it could be shut off if needed.

G
There is an possible alternative to installing blinds on the skylight.
When I was in college, the campus newspaper ran a parody issue that included an ad for the new GE "dark-bulb".
Designed for use in photographic darkrooms it sucked up all the light in a room whenever it was switched on.
smile

Ghost307
A
Albert Offline OP
Here's the Brazilian version - and it's installed by the power company for "low revenue customers"!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZrVlV-5TdQ

You guys are funny....LOL

John
G
The plastic bottle of water is a very clever and imaginative way of making a 'deck prism'.

What's a deck prism?
Even wonder how they lit the areas below decks in the wooden sailing ships when they didn't want to risk a fire??

http://glassian.org/Prism/Deck/Charles_W_Morgan/index.html

Just because people lived a couple hundred years in the past doesn't mean that they weren't smart.
smile

Ghost307
Originally Posted by ghost307
Just because people lived a couple hundred years in the past doesn't mean that they weren't smart.
smile

Just because someone lives in the present, doesn't mean they are smart.

Link Copied to Clipboard