ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
hello fellow sparktarians. I am looking for any codes or standards regarding automation systems mainly in an event something that fails along the chain of events, the rest of the system stops to prevent damage equipment or cause an unsafe environment.

For example, boxes continiously goes through 5 stations (A-E). When one station clears, the stations before releases the box to go to next station and so on. For whatever reason, a box jams between stations C and D. The process should stop at stations A, B, and C so the boxes do not pile up at the jam. Station D and E can either stop or continue providing thay can do so safely then stop their process when the station becomes empty.

(I see visions of pies flying off the conveyor and Lucial Ball trying to catch all of them...)

Besides common sense, I presume there is some sort of codes or standards that industry uses that address such problems to prevent damage and or injury. Any known references out there?

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
G
I doubt there is any industry standard. That sounds like an engineering problem. These days I think they track each box through a machine like that by bar code or RFID tag.

Greg Fretwell
IMHO, a design issue. The 'Injury' segment may be OSHA, or insurance carriers (Factory Mutual, etc)

Sounds like an easy solution for PLC, or back in the 'old days' proximity switches, relays, etc.

John

Link Copied to Clipboard