ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 297 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
bradley Offline OP
I have a client who lives in the US and wants to purchase an English (electric) coal-effect fire (from Britain) with 'opti-mist' smoke effect. I know the appliance is 220 or 240, but will it work in the US with an adapter? or transformer? sorry to be so ignorant about this, but...

You can check out the videos on google, and the item is at Dimplex fires (UK site).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bradley

G
The final answer in in the installation instructions of the appliance. The real question is if there is anything in there that will not work at 60 hz.

The next question is the operating voltage range. You can easily see 250v here.

If it is 50/60 hz rated and has a 210-250v operating range you can hook it right up. You will just need the appropriate 240v branch circuit.

Greg Fretwell
B
bradley Offline OP
Greg,
Thanks for the quick reply and the info. That is exactly what I needed!

Brad

J
Don't know how it works in the US but in Canada if the unit is not UL or CSA listed for Canada you will get rejected by the inspector. I know of several people buying product in the USA and bringing it to Canada only to be rejected.

Last edited by jdevlin; 07/16/12 10:38 AM.
M
Originally Posted by jdevlin
Don't know how it works in the US but in Canada if the unit is not UL or CSA listed for Canada you will get rejected by the inspector. I know of several people buying product in the USA and bringing it to Canada only to be rejected.

If the product is valuable enough you can always get a special inspection done. At least worth the 150 to XXX dollar fee for the inspection and sticker.

G
I didn't want to get into listing because I assumed this was cord and plug connected. The most likely listing in Europe would be TUV and that is a recognized lab in the US. You could look for that. "CE" really doesn't mean much here tho.

BTW JD, how can something be CSA listed and not be OK in Canada? Isn't the "C" in CSA the "Canadian" <Standards Association>?

Greg Fretwell
G
Quote " "CE" really doesn't mean much here tho."

To be honest I don't think it really means too much here either! It is mandatory for marketing, but is not, as often thought, an independant certification. It is merely a manufacturers declaration of compliance with EU standards, the identity and scope of which it is sometimes difficult to ascertain.
Hence for reputable major European based manufacturers it can be taken at face value, and these will often carry additional certifications. For some imports or items of unclear origin however I think it means little.

T
Basically every European state has at least one national testing lab and even though approvals are recognised throughout the EU, many appliances still carry a whole list of approvals. The TÜV has branches all across Europe so their logo can be found on a lot of stuff, but it's not exactly what I'd look for on electric equipment. There the national electrical approvals such as VDE, IS,... are more interesting. For UK appliances it should be the "Kite mark" I think.

M
Greg, CSA does testing to Canadian and/or US Standards depending on what the client wants.

Here is what the marks look like if the device is approved for use in just Canada or in both countries.

http://www.csa-international.org/certification_marks/marks_for_canada/

http://www.csa-international.org/certification_marks/marks_for_us/

The same applies with the UL and cUL listing mark where the cUL means approval to Canadian Standards.

http://www.ul.com/global/eng/pages/corporate/aboutul/ulmarks/mark/#north

M
Just did a quick internet search and these Dimplex Optimist fireplace units are also made in North America.

The customer may want to see if the fireplace they want to buy is available from the North American catalog.
http://www.dimplex.com/consumer_products/fireplaces/optimyst

The owners manual says the NA manufactured ones have a cULus listing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard