ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 228 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
There is the initial bidding going out here for a massive hotel remodel, actually 3 big hotels and they have agreed that all 3 hotels will close at the same time (2 months next year).
This is going to be a kamikaze 24/7 operation, stacking trades and going as fast as they can go.
I expect guys will be parachuting in from all over the country for this one.
I am not sure how they will handle inspections at that pace and I expect there may be a contract opportunity. If the price is right, I will look at some wire under the lights at 2AM wink

Greg Fretwell
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Greg:
We had a 14 story Sheraton renovation last year just like that. 24/7, rush. Most of the rooms/suites was replace lighting & added lighting, device replacement and new room HVAC units, Pain was access with freight elevator being 'really busy' and the 6 pack of passenger elevators undergoing renovation.

All in all, the OT was OK.

John
H
In one town I work in, there is a nursing home being built. I believe it will be 4 stories tall with about 15 to 20 apt. per floor. They are working at a very fast pace. They are bringing pre-made walls and stacking them up one after the other. They claim it is cheaper and faster to build the walls off site and truck them to the job. This same nursing home just built a brand new rehab center 4 stories tall with healing garden, therapy rooms, pools etc. just about 5 years ago.

G
Is this Y-tong concrete? We did a juvenile center that way. They were almost done when the fire marshal suddenly decided the Y-tong might not have the right fire rating.
It got pretty ugly. I had finished my finals so I was only watching the show on TV. They never reopened the electrical permit so I assume they decided it was OK after all.

Greg Fretwell
H
Greg,

No it is just plain old metal studs and that new blue drywall that they use on the outside of buildinings.

G
How are they doing the wiring? Fishing it in?, Accessible J boxes?

Greg Fretwell
H
Greg,

Sorry, (as usual, I didn't make myself clear) they are leaving one side open and pulling the wire through like normal. MC and some hospital grade wiring. There are the main feeders in pipe and such.

G
It sounds like an interesting way to do things. Do you suspect the fabrication shop may be non-union and the job site is union ?

Greg Fretwell
H
Oh, I am sure that the fabrication shop is non union. However the guys on the job are also non union.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard