ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
L
Hey, why not return the oven for credit, pigtail the 208 to each end of some forks and light the food up directly! Just add salt for extra current and extra crispiness! Duck l'fluorescent...

S
Just like those hot dog cookers they use to sell(and you only needed 110 for those).

Steve
T
Just like some guys from the GRD army claim to have done. Take 2 wires made of different metalls, stick them into a hotdog and wire it up to 220V. Hotdog cooked via electrolysis. Better than eggs fried on the flat iron.

N
I actually did that once when I was a kid. Only I used 110volts via an old lamp cord and plugged one wire in each end. results were almost immediate, nice and hot. I remember not trusting myself to eat it due to the fear of it having left some residual electricity remaining inside!
Where were my parents?

Mamills (Mike)
We had an apartment bldg in Newark, NJ that had 130 of these FPE "riser" panels.
The "riser" came from an elec closet in the basement, 23 floors, straight up.
Took a look-see; laughed a lot, told the "owners rep" good luck.
23 units on 1 riser; started as 1/0 and ended up as #6 from 15 to 23 floors.
Total of 6 risers; feeder was buss duct to the "closet"; OCP was 400 amps, and yes! the whole job was FPE, end to end.

BTW, they wound up gutting the building, and then the "owner" went "belly-up". Didn't bother me, I laughed and left quickly.
John

John
B
Even more off topic... Now for a spirited exchange on the glowing electric pickle…

http://research.compaq.com/wrl/techreports/html/TN-13/ “The primary advantage of pickles as light bulbs is that they can be eaten, either before or after providing illumination.”

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 01-20-2003).]

P
I've seen a steak cooked by a similar method: Sandwich it between two metal oven trays and connect to 240V. The grids give a nice "char-broiled" effect as well! [Linked Image]

S
Here is a device that should not be wired by your average hack. Difficult to learn, but it sure cooks quick. Similar operating saftey to the rig described in this thread.
[Linked Image from zoom.cafepress.com]

SD

[This message has been edited by strangedog (edited 01-21-2003).]

[This message has been edited by strangedog (edited 01-21-2003).]

SD
It is best for a leader to be both feared and loved. But since this usually cannot be done, it is safer to be feared.
M
Hi Strangedog;
Please help me refresh my ailing memory...isn't this from the same lovable folks who brought us the "Furby" lab test? [Linked Image]
Incidentally, I like the picture. The Danger sign with the skull and crossbones is a nice touch!

John:...so that's 23 apartments fed with 1/0, and the upper 8 fed with No. 6 ? That is REALLY bad odds [Linked Image]. To add to this, I can only wonder what kind of weird things people did to "doctor up" these panels in their own apartments?

Mike (mamills)

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard