ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#206081 05/18/12 12:28 PM
S
A few years ago I ran some wires to an buzzer in my basement, to ring when someone pushed my front door bell button. It worked with the existing chime for a year or so, then one day I determined it wasn't working anymore. I checked the obvious ( voltage at the buzzer, verified that the buzzer was good, connections etc...). Eliminating a lot of test in between, I found that when I hook the buzzer wire to the front door terminal on my chime, it works, but then I only get one tone instead of 2 tones for the front door. If I remove the buzzer wire, I get 2 tones as usual for the front. I'm thinking that I need to get a bigger transformer. The existing transformer is at least probably 25 or 30 years old. I'm guessing it's just getting weak with 2 loads on it, and not enough to pull them both correctly. What are some of your thoughts on it. I don't know exactly how many volts the transformer is( guessing 16 volts), but I'm thinking about putting a 24 volt on it and hope that works. Thanks for the input. Steve...

A
door bells get week up the va on transformer should fix it 40 va works good i had to do it at home too

T
twh Offline
The doorbell is probably getting stiff and a door bell transformer will usually run only one doorbell, so the buzzer is maxing out the transformer. Get a bigger transformer, but I wouldn't suggest a higher voltage.

You could also parallel another 'matching' transformer next to the original. Or, pick up a 40va.

John

Link Copied to Clipboard