ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 23 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
I thought it was not permissible to to mount a luminaire over a junction box unless there was a 2" hole to access the wires in the junction box. Was I just dreaming? I have a bunch of them that are nippled through the J-box cover and into the luminaire. In order to access the J-box would require removial of the light and wiring. At best the definition of "readily accessabile" is gray at best. I looked in 314 and 410 and got nodda. Am I going off an old wise tale or did I over look something?

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

IMHO, we are going into shades of 'gray area' and interp by the AHJs.

A J-box that was 'accessable' thru the 6-7" recess can hole was acceptable by some, frowned upon by others, although 'it's not an Article I have right now'. The reasoning leaned toward access to the J-box on the recess frame.

That's what has been 'on the streets' here IMHO.

A side note....anyone thrilled with having to 'work' on a J-box, or the recess frame mounted boxes???

John
S
Too dang many times. CFL cans are a booger to replace the ballast

Cat Servant
What am I missing?

EVERY fixture is supposed to be mounted over a junction box - they even give you a little bracket to hang the lamp from the box. UL counts the space under the rosette as part of the required wiring space.

S
Thoses are fine for me Reno. My situation is in order to access or to inspect the j box, will require the un-wiring and removal of the light then the cover. The light is connected by a 1/2" nipple through the box cover

G
In the strictest reading, the luminaire is *not* part of the building finish, otherwise you could not have an old work can.
When you take that old work can logic to it's logical conclusion you could have to remove any part of a luminaire or other equipment to get to the box behind it.
If some crafty carpenter came along behind you and put a little piece of trim around that light that kept you from removing it, you are not accessible anymore.

Greg Fretwell
Originally Posted by sparkyinak
Thoses are fine for me Reno. My situation is in order to access or to inspect the j box, will require the un-wiring and removal of the light then the cover. The light is connected by a 1/2" nipple through the box cover

OK, now Im on the same page with ya. I seem to feel that there is something about a 2" 'hole' to provide access to the wiring in a box that a luminaire is mounted over. Like a strip fluorescent fixture surface mounted over a flush mounted box. (Wish I could draw)

Now....where did I see that???

Thinking back (years)....what we here on the east coast called a 'wrap around' surface mount 2 or 4 lamp F40 fluorescent....thought there was a large (2") KO centered in the wiring cover?
Hmmmm; any one with a good memory?

Last edited by HotLine1; 05/16/12 11:37 PM.

John

I remember those fixtures Hotline smile

Try page 2 of this pdf

http://www.acuitybrandslighting.com/library/LL/documents/SpecSheets/LBW.pdf

Both a 2" and a 7/8" KO are available at "E".

S
I'd that hole required per code? I'll dig in my old code books tomorrow

Electure:

THANKS!!!
Put my mind to rest mode now!

John
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard