ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ComputerWizKid), 331 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
I am reconsidering my answers. If the panel is in a 60 degree ambient the panel location is a fail. There is no derating method for panels, only the wire.

The second problem has a glitch too as baseboard heaters are allowed to load the wire to it's ampacity 62-114(7)so #12 can supply a 20 amp heater and connect to a 30 amp breaker if a 25 amp breaker is not made. #14 can supply 240 X 15 amps or 3600 watts and can be connected to a 20 amp breaker under 62-114(8)

T
twh Offline
Originally Posted by sidmuer
You're right. 60 degree is unreasonable. Even for just a question.
Let me phrase it better....
lets say 200A panel, but lets assume the panel is not in the ambient room, just the supply wires run through somewhere, where it will be 40 degrees ambient. Whats the min size coppers we can use to supply this?
Now, here's my confusion, and it's probably silly. But i need to learn the right way.
So, I would goto Table #2. I see that 210 A is the min rated wire to supply at least 200 A. Which is 3/0. I am not 100%. But I feel I should use this, as it doesn't state that this is a residential property. In which case if it did, I would use 2/0 rated for 185 A which is allowed in homes/individual dwellings.
Now, I feel I need to take that 210 A rated wire and do 1.25 x for continuous load for my panel. Then, I need to factor in the ambience for the wire at 40 degrees. Which is / by .9 using Table 5A.
At this point, I would get: 291.2 A. This leads me to 300Kcmil wire rated at 295 Amps. The issue I have is, that is not one of my multiple choice answer choices. So something is wrong in my way of thinking.
If I use a panel "assumed" (which I don't want to do since it's not stated) for a dwelling, I can choose 185 A. Then, I can just / .9 for ambience and I get 205.6 A which falls into one of my choices.
There are a couple other ways of looking at this. But I'm sure you get the idea, and I don't want to make a winded post. smile
My answer choices are:
1/0, 2/0, 3/0, and 4/0 wire sizing.

If you are installing a 200 Amp panel, it is because the calculated panel size is 200 Amps. That will include the 125%, if applicable. The correction factor for a 40 degree ambient is .90.
Which ampacity, when multiplied by .90 is at least 200 Amps?

It isn't 2/0 because, even with the provision for residential services, it has an ampacity of only 200.

4/0 has an ampacity of 235 amps. 235 x .9 = 211.5. The answer is 4/0.

You must multiply the amperage by the correction factor. Do not divide.

M
It primarily depends on the voltage, distance and load. The longer the cable, the higher the resistance/impedance. There are also factors such as the ambient temperature, type of insulation, number of conductors, and whether it is buried in the ground or suspended in the air.

electrical Electrical Safety

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard