ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
I am thinking that using two phases of the three phase transformer will only get you 208 vs 240 Volts.

Unless the transformer or the load has adjustable taps, I assume that there will be some voltage mismatch problems.

Just something to be aware of.

Although the "dog leg" configuration is more complicated, it does a better job of matching voltages.

G
I don't think we ever heard whether the transformer was delta or wye on the secondary.

Greg Fretwell
J
JBD Offline
Transformers are rated for 100% unbalance on each winding (basically 1/3 the 3-phase kVA). You will lose some efficiency, but is that a big deal?

Is this a wye connected transformer?

Last edited by JBD; 05/01/12 02:50 PM.
J
JBD Offline
Originally Posted by LarryC
Although the "dog leg" configuration is more complicated, it does a better job of matching voltages.

In general you should stay away from using generator connections on 'single core' 3-phase transformers,
(among other things, the magnetic flux distribution in a single core transformer is different). Is usually perfectly fine to use generator connections with multiple single-phase transformers.

L
JBD

I was not aware of the magnetic flux distribution issues for a single core three phase transformers when connected in a "dog leg" configuration. Is there a magnetic saturation concern? I am just curious.

Thanks.

Larry C

J
JBD Offline
It will depend on the construction of the transformer core. But, you will notice that no major transformer manufacturer includes this as a 'standard recommended' connection. Of course, the fact that you do not have access to all of the winding ends, may also factor into it.

Back when I was a fresh-out engineer, I remember discussing this connection with Jerry Frank, from the old Sorgel Co. He 'politely' reminded me there was a difference between theory and practical application.

S
The transformer has a delta primary and a wye secondary. It also have voltage taps as well. I have not seen the inside of it. It's in storage at another site. I'll try to get some pics from the inside. I got a pic of the data plate but I can't upload it to the Internet from my phone. I'll get on my computer later and post it

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
Broom Pusher and
Spark...

Have a couple Qs per your Scenario...

Q #1: Is there a Three Phase System available to drive the Primary, or only Single Phase?

Q #2: Will the Transformer be "Reverse-Connected", with the Delta Winding being the Secondary; or will the Transformer be connected Delta Primary / Wye Secondary?

Q #3: Will there be only (1) Single Phase L-L Connected Load, or is it possible to make Two (or possibly Three) individual Single Phase L-L Load Connections?

--------------------------------------------------------

Per "Q #1":
If the Currently Active System is 3 Phase 3 Wire, I suggest to connect the Primary to all Three Lines, even if the Secondary side will connect via Two of the Three Windings.

If only Single Phase is available, suggest either using another Transformer, or attempt to reconfigure the Transformer to appear as Open Delta - provided the Windings are on individual Cores, as opposed to being wound to a Single common Core. The latter of these is most common.
(I need to do some thinking on this part - the Single Core would be normal for a Split Coil Transformer, but the unused Windings have me concerned).

Per "Q #2":
If the Transformer will be Connected as Wye Primary, Delta Secondary, I was thinking to feed the Primary with all Three Lines, then Corner Ground the Secondary.
Grounding the Secondary is something to consider, in order to keep the Voltage to Ground stable (reduce the issues of Insulation Breakdown).

Per "Q #3":
If there are / will / can be Two or more L-L Load Connections, then these may be split up between the Three output Lines.

--------------------------------------------------------

In my opinion, the most simple way to drive a Single L-L load via the available Transformer would be to connect the Transformer to a Three Phase 3 Wire Circuit, and use Two of the Three Secondary Output Lines to feed the L-L Load.
bond the Wye Connected Secondary Windings' Star Point ("X0") to a Grounding Electrode System, and derive an Equipment Grounding (Bonding) Conductor from the same Star Point.

Driving the Primary via an L-L Connection (as opposed to L-L-L Connection), would create the same Voltage issues as would be found with a Blown fuse in One Phase Line.

Additionally, attempting to reconfigure the Transformer may be Counter-Productive.

Feeding the Primary via a Three Phase L-L-L Branch Circuit will drive the Delta Windings as normal.

Let me contemplate this scenario in more detail, along with verify some points via text manuals.

-- Scott (EE)

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard