ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 23 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#205831 04/10/12 12:59 AM
B
BigB Offline OP
This may be more of an NFPA question but here goes. A rehab facility has an Ansul fire supression system in the kitchen exhaust hood. When the system activates, normal electrical power to the kitchen is automatically cut off. This includes power to the exhaust hood. The rep from the fire supression company says the exhaust hood should be wired to the emergency backup panel so that it will continue to exhaust smoke during a fire.

Is he correct, or would this create a violation?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
517.34(A)(5) allows it. I would ask your fire official if he requires it.

517.34 Equipment System Connection to Alternate Power Source.

(A) Equipment for Delayed Automatic Connection. The following equipment shall be permitted to be arranged for delayed automatic connection to the alternate power source:

(5) Kitchen hood supply or exhaust systems, or both, if required to operate during a fire in or under the hood.

There is the same language in 517.43(A)(4)
(Health Care Facilities)

Greg Fretwell
A
NFPA 96

8.2.3 Exhaust Fan Operation.

8.2.3.1 A hood exhaust fan(s) shall continue to operate after the extinguishing system has been activated unless fan shutdown is required by a listed component of the ventilation system or by the design of the extinguishing system.

Ampherder:

Thank you for the code article. This is a 'difficult' item for some to grasp.

Supply (Make-up air) is a shut down, exhaust is operating when supression system is activated. That is the 'norm' here. I have not seen any where the MUA is 'on' during a fire supression activation.

John
Cat Servant
HOWEVER ....

A careful reading of NFPA 96 is quite clear on two commonly misrepresented points.

First, "make up air" is specifically described as air supplied specifically to the hood, from within the hood assembly. NFPA 96 does NOT call for shutting down the general air supply to the kitchen, or shutting down the general air conditioning. Doing so is not forbidden - but it's not required.

Second, NFPA 96 is quite blunt that the exhaust fan need not operate if the cooking units and hood are "off." The fan need operate only when the equipment is operating.

hem and haw and engineer all you want, but your 'design ideas' may not be what the code actually calls for.

Y
It was always Explained to me is that the MAU must shut down so it does not feed fresh air to the Fire , But Exhaust maintains running because of the Grease up in the exhaust Duct well get The fire stopping chemical.

Reno:

My intent was and is MUA, which is dedicated to the hood, not any climate control HVAC unit.

As Yoop said; cooking appliances operating, exhaust & MUA "ON", supression system activated, MUA "OFF"; EXHAUST "ON".

That is how it has been, and is; I'll kick this around with my Fire Official, time permitting.

John
G
I really only did a few hoods and they all had to be signed off by the fire marshal. Him and the Ansul guys worked out the details and I just inspected the workmanship and materials.

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
HotLine, I have no problem with your description.

The problems arise when there is no fresh air piped directly to the hood. I routinely see the 'hood guys' hanging their tissues on every air supply in sight, expecting them to be shut down. In some instances the kitchen is connected to the dining area with a pass-through, bar-like opening, and the fresh air comes from that other room. I wanted to stress that the only make up air that is required to be shut down is the air supplied directly to the hood, and not these indirect supplies.

Likewise, I have witnessed tests where the hood guys expected the exhaust fan to start up when they tripped the unit, even when everything was shut down. Again, NFPA 96 specifically explains that this is not required.

I suppose I ought to add two other 'refinements,' details that apply only in some cases:
1) If there is no alarm system, you need to mount some manner of alarm (bell, strobe, etc.) that will sound off if the unit trips; and,
2) If the cooking equipment uses 'old fashioned' pilot lights, you need a gas shut-off that has to be manually reset, rather than one that automatically resets when you reset the unit.

I've done these hoods in a few different jurisdictions, alongside several different hood guys, and ... this is the part that annoys me ... I have yet to encounter either a hood guy or a fire marshal who has ever actually held NFPA 96 in their hands. They know 'all about' the requirements, but have never read them. Ah, the look of wonder and amazement when I produce my copy ...

The other thing that annoys me is when I hear 'it's a pre-packaged unit, all you need to do is bring power to it.' Yea, right. Invariably I end up doing a lot more than just that.

A final note: At least once I've encountered a hood guy who did not want to pass inspection. No, his 'game' involved charging for each visit .... so, if he could give me non-functioning equipment and incomplete/erroneous instructions that would allow him to charge for another test, all the better! All I can say is that he picked the wrong guy to annoy.

Last edited by renosteinke; 04/11/12 09:21 AM.
Reno:

Just an FYI on this subject. About 10 days ago, a resturant renovation inspection, I was checking the hood. I noticed that there were 'registers' (HVAC vents) cut into the front face of the hood, and they had little 'streamers' to indicate air-flow. For a few minutes, I thought 'HVAC' for the kitchen. I asked that the exhaust fan be 'on' & he flipped a switch. I said 'turn on MUA, he walked out of site. Came back & said 'it's on'. I said 'turn it off', he walked away, the air stopped. Ah, so did the 'registers'.

I said, where is the switch.....he walked over to the HVAC T'stat!!! They tapped the HVAC duct for the MUA!

There was a severe language issue; my Cantoneese is very limited!

Red sticker, there was a lot of issues in addition to the above.

John
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard