ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 81 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Y
yan Offline OP
Hi, I am new to this forum and need your big help,

I have bought a Poggenphol kitchen, see the attached picture. The city electrial inspector disapproval of the kitchen:
1. Need UL listing for the kicthen canbinet becasue the backsplash is lighted,see the picture in this link: http://www.architonic.com/pmgal/plusmodo-poggenpohl/1141490
2. need plugs every 4 feet, but this kitchen is already built and the backsplash is the glass box;
3. the lights and the plug can not be in same circuit, but this is already made this way by PoggenPhol company.
Thanks for all of your inputs,
Yan

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
I am not sure the inspector has any choice. That is what the code says.
My major concerns would be the light on the receptacle circuits, how many 20a receptacle circuits you have and whether the receptacles meet the spacing requirements. If it was compliant on those points I might give you a break on the listing, assuming it looked safe.

It is too bad that PlusMudo did not sell you a compliant product. It does look nice.
I would get the factory rep to tell you what they are going to do for you.

Greg Fretwell
P
pdh Offline
Are they selling this in the USA, or did you order it from overseas? if in the USA, they do need to get in compliance with the codes here.

I don't know what's up with UL listings for cabinets, as lots of homes physically construct them as custom during build or remodel. But if the lights underneath get hot, I certainly am concerned. But UL is not doable on custom construction.

They do need to have the outlets every 4 feet. That isn't hard to do.

I do know that aftermarket undercabinet lights do get plugged into the countertop outlets.

I do wonder what inspectors might do for cases where a house is being built with the intent to install attached furnishings that fully cover the walls with built-in lights and outlets that meet code. WHen unattached furniture blocks an outlet, that seems to be OK (even though I think it is bad). But what about attached stuff that will be semi-permanent. The inspector can walk into a kitchen under construction and see NO outlets in the usual places. Plans call for that furnishing to be installed that will make for the right outlets. But that's installed later when other stuff like drywall is done.

G
I was assuming this assembly got hardwired into the rough. If it is actually cord and plug connected it brings up more questions.

Greg Fretwell
A custom, high end contractor has a similar unit to the 'Sargento' wall unit with the built-in appliances; it is an imported item, I believe from Italy. It was installed 'to 2008 NEC' requirements. Three (3) 120/20 countertop circuits, etc.

The 'rough' for the required circuits and spacing issues was achieved via a nice plugmold install. The lighting circuits were also field wired, luminaires came with cabinets; UL/TUV labels.

Looking briefly thru the linked site...seems to be all european goods; I did not see any reference to any listings.

As to cabinets with UL labels? I never gave that a thought, although we do check all electrical devices.

John
B
Originally Posted by HotLine1

As to cabinets with UL labels? I never gave that a thought, although we do check all electrical devices.

The cabinet contains built in lighting, wouldn't that require a listing?

G
I would look for a listing mark on the luminaire but I don't think the whole cabinet needs a listing.

Greg Fretwell
Greg:
Have you ever seen a UL/other label on any kitchen cabinets?

John
G
No that is why I sad that.
I have seen U/L listings on office cabinet assemblies tho. (components of wired cubicle systems)
I suppose there might be an AHJ somewhere who would draw this parallel in a modular kitchen system with internal wiring.

Greg Fretwell
H
Can they get a field certification from a listing agency?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard