ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
P
pdh Offline OP
Anyone ever seen an IEC 60320 C13 outlet built as a wall receptacle, preferably for USA box and plate standards? Listed even better.

S
Just out of carosity, what are you trying to power? Plug configurations are to prevent applying the wrong voltage, improper ampere, and in this case, possibly the wrong frequency. By installing a receptacle of a certain configuration invites any type of equipment with that plug configuration be plugged into it. Even in an supervised environment. If you are installing a piece of European equipment that will work on the North American power grid, can't you just install the appropriate plug and recept configuration?

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
P
pdh Offline OP
Devices with C14 plugs are supposed to be able to handle 100-240 volts AC, 50 or 60 Hz. That's probably not the case for shavers and the like, but they have a different plug.

I also want the shroud configuration. I suppose Schuko might also work. Anyone ever seen those fitting American boxes? Or would I need to get the European box setup?

G
We had C13 panel mount receptacles in a lot of our machines. They are not a horrible fit in a L-15-R cover with the round hole but it is not listed to be used that way.

Greg Fretwell
P
pdh Offline OP
I was figuring that if they were made for wall mounting, they would more likely be made to fit in a decora style plate, rather than the traditional ones. E.g. a single device with one, two, or maybe even three, C13 outlets, in the decora dimensions.

G
The problem with C13 is you are not sure what voltage will be there.

Greg Fretwell
L
Just like the dual T slot.

Isn't nearly all equipment with an IEC C13 connector auto-ranging or equipped with a voltage switch?

What's the application, data center? I've seen a lot of power strips in rack-mount units that have IEC C13/15/19 outlets.

G
There are plenty of machines out there with switch selected or single voltage supplies

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard