ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 268 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
I have a customer whose bath is approx. 200 sq. ft. I've found just a fan that's got 200 cfms and one that's got 300 cfms, but can't find one with a light. I want to oversize it a little because the house belongs to a doctor and he is having his whole bedroom and bath renovated, because he is concerned with mold etc. Ceiling is kinda full and the contractor wants a fan with a light. Any ideas beside QT200 or QT300? ( Nutone brand without a light) I've looked on the web and am still looking but nothing yet. Thanks, Steve

Try Panasonic fan combo units.

www.panasonic.com

They are quiet, have a lot of available options, but $$$.

Last edited by HotLine1; 01/31/12 10:01 PM. Reason: added link

John
S
John, I went on their site and still don't see one with over 130 cfm. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing.
Thanks again, Steve

You may have to 'downsize' the CFM to get a light/fan combo. Laws of physics dictate how much air can move thru a fan housing, puting a light in reduces the available sq inches of intake area.

Fantek is another mfg, as well as Broan. Maybe try a google there.

John
S
Thanks John. I thought I had it made with just using the fan. The the "contractors" (couple of women actually frown )
are the ones that changed their minds to wanting a light in it not the homeowner. They actually have plenty, if not too much light in there now:(
I'll try Fantek just in case. Thanks

BTW, have you or anyone else ever seen any 6" flexible duct?? I've only used 3 and 4". Thanks again

Last edited by sparkync; 01/31/12 11:02 PM.
K
I don’t know if I’ve ever seen an all in one fan/light unit with that high of a CFM rating. What about maybe using a remote fan with the lights built in the vent grilles?
This dual grille unit is rated for to 270 CFM.
FanTech

If the customer is concerned with heat loss from that amount of air being vented outside, maybe a small HRV unit could be included.
The FanTechs I installed used 6-inch insulated flex duct. You should be able to get it from the same supplier you get the fan from.

M
You also consider installing two seperate fans. I recently ran into a similar situation. I ended up installing two seperate fans and put them on the same switch. They are vented totally seperate as well.

S
KJay, thanks for the input on FanTech inline fans. That is the option I went with. The customer had a jecuzzi and shower next to each other, with the wall not going all the way to the ceiling. I'm deciding on putting the grill between the shower and jecuzzi, and the motor goes in the attic. Seems like the only real option I had due to limited ceiling space. The grille is UL listed for wet locations. BTW, we gave up on the idea of a light in it, even though Fantech had one with a halogen light. I was undecided whether it would give enough light in the shower, so I kept the 6" recess can that was already there. Thanks again. Steve..

S
Now that I've recieved my Fan Tech PB190 fan, I have questions about the mounting bracket. Anyone ever mounted one of these before? The brackett has holes where self tapping screws screw directly into the fan housing. Only question is: it looks like the screws will hit the propeller
on the motor. I called the company I bought it from, and all he could tell me was he hasn't had any calls about it giving problems. Well that's good, but I don't want to be the first to mess up the propeller after paying $ 250.00 total for this fan. Seems like a poor mounting brackett for the motor. Maybe I'm missing something. I've left a message at the manufacture, but probably be next week before they get back with me. Needed an answer now if possible. Anyone ever mounted one like this? Thanks for the input.. Steve..

K
All the Fantechs I‘ve installed mounted that way, even the little 4-inch ones. The screws are only like a 1/2-inch long, so don’t interfere with the blade. There should be an arrow on the housing indicating the direction of flow, so I usually mount the L-bracket on the bottom of the fan facing down so I can easily get at the holes to fasten it to the side of a joist afterward.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard