ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread

I need some guidance on installing a manual pull fire alarm system for a store I am wiring in town. I am sure it is simple but I just need some tips and points to get me going. I know I need to install manual pull boxes, the lights/horns signals and the main fire alarm panel. This will be a very inexpensive system. It is a small store and the fire department inspector said I just need the pull box at the front of the store (entrance) and at the back of the store (exit) with a few signals in the store.

I would think the pull boxes mount to regular plastic old/new work receptacle boxes. I would think that the wiring between the pull box to the panel is low voltage and the panel is wired 120v to the electric panel. I would think that the signals also come back to the control panel. It is probably very easy; like I said I just need some tips and a starting point. Nothing fancy.

Any help would be appreciated!!!!

AFJES:
You can get all of the info on the wiring from the instructions that are with the FA panel, and the devices.

Box mounting may/may not be device boxes; some HS units require a 4x4. Fire wire is RED. Locations are per the Fire Inspector, and heights may have to conform to ADA restrictions.

Basically, the HS are energized from the FA panel, and the pulls activate the panel.

Confirm with your local Fire AHJ, as on this side of the river you would have some hoops to jump thru.

John
Y
NFPA 72 is a good Guide but check with local building inspectors requirements.

J
I'm used to seeing a requirement for 2, AC feeds or battery backup sufficient to power the system for 24 hours in trouble and then 5 minutes in alarm. Many panels have 2, 12V, 7-1/2 AHr VRLA batteries in the bottom.
Joe

Thanks to all of you for your help. Come to find out now tht the plans for the system must be designed and drawn out by a NICET certified engineer. Submitted my plans to the city fire inspector and this is when I found out. Oh, well, I would hope the type and model along with all requirements will be dictated by the drawings.

Now I just have to wait to get the certified drawings.

So thanks again for your input.

Link Copied to Clipboard