ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 476 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
sparky #204964 01/25/12 04:40 PM
~s~:
OK, I found a few minutes to look at the videos, although not enough minutes to digest the whole details.

Yes, bad connections cause what you say. Now, the quest is how much is this item, and what is the availability?

I sent an RFI to them, the vids would be interesting to show my students, and would be a good CEU topic, as would be a sample of the device.

To you I say 'Thanks for the info' & stay safe & healthy!!

John
Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
F
FLV Offline

sparky #204967 01/25/12 08:15 PM
FLV:

Hello & WELCOME to ECN forums from one of the 'Jersey Guys'

Jump right in here anytime, Please!!

John
HotLine1 #204968 01/25/12 11:04 PM
S
sparky Offline OP
Weloome FLV

i think you'll find some of the trades best minds here

~S~

FLV #204979 01/26/12 01:26 PM
Cat Servant
..... The heating caused by the flow of electricity ....

Gee, I wondered how my toaster worked!

What we have is some guy deliberately mucking things up, taking pretty pictures, mixing scare tactics into his speach ... then saying 'buy my product.'

It seems like only yesterday the 'vast majority' of fires, we were told, were due to arcing connections- so we needed to start using a newly invented gizmo to solve the problem.

I'm not buying it. Plus, after the whole AFCI bait & switch, I'm not about to let a slaes campaign suddenly sneak itself into the code .... even if it's 'for the children.' Call me jaded.

Do bad things happen? Of course they do. We already have 'rules' that address workmanship, and 'standards' that address reasonable design criteria. Deliberately making something fail does not prove that the 'something' was faulty.

If a rule is being violated, we fix that violation by enforcing the rule- not by adding another rule or gadget to the mix.

HotLine1 #204982 01/26/12 03:23 PM
F
FLV Offline
Hello Hotline1
Thank you for your post.
Regards,
FLV-

F
FLV Offline
I totally agree with you. In my opinion, ground fault fonction and overcurrent fonction work well, since a long time. The both = GFCI. It detects contacts between phase and ground and possibly between neutral and ground and phase-neutral.(in wiring, J-box or appliances). What more with an AFCI ? I dont know. And in this video, no arc. I imagine that rule was intentionally violated to generate a glowing connection, because GC apper often after month or years. I think video highlights that "glowing connections" are undetectable, even if the rules are NOT VIOLATED.
Regards,

sparky #204985 01/26/12 04:26 PM
I don't claim to be an engineer, or scientist, or profess to have a firm grip on the 'insides' of an AFCI. When there is a 'bad connection' that generates heat, which further deteriorates said 'bad' connection, is there not an 'arc' (series arc)?? Is it less than the threshold of the AFCI cbs?

As I said above, I have seen 'burned' wirenuts over the years, and did attribute that to workmanship, be it a 'bad' splice..or a combo of a bad splice and a circuit loaded to the max.

BTW, this new item is still being developed, and is not on the market yet. Think about the elusive AFCI device!!

John
HotLine1 #204988 01/26/12 06:54 PM
F
FLV Offline
Hello again HotLine1

"When there is a 'bad connection' that generates heat, which further deteriorates said 'bad' connection, is there not an 'arc' (series arc)??" Not necessarily, and often not.
Arcs often reach at the end of heating (often much later). Also I tested AFCIs, and never trip with series arc! Someone tried this test?
Thank you.
Regards,
FLV -

sparky #204990 01/26/12 10:48 PM
FLV:

Lets continue this discussion please,

The 'new' AFCI cbs are supposed to detect both series and parallel arcs? I have a few videos from Siemens that show both series and parallel arcs. The last NEC change mandated the 'combo' AFCI.

John
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard