ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 274 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#204762 01/06/12 11:33 AM
S
sitem Offline OP
I am looking to change careers and become an Electrician. I would like to find out what the best way to start is? How to apply to a electrical company? What the best school option is? I have some training via a night course from a local high school and I have a keen interest!!

Thank You in advance!!

Mark

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
G
If you are working in a place where unions are a significant factor, talking to them is a good place to start your quest.
They will have apprenticeship programs. The question may be the availability of slots.

Greg Fretwell
M
If you don't mind moving around Manitoba a bit, Manitoba Hydro has an apprentice program http://hydro.mb.ca/careers/training_programs/trades/power_electrician.shtml .

Two of my friends kids are both in 1st and 3rd year here in Winnipeg and are working at non union shops just doing the Red River training.

I heard that one of them had talked to IBEW and was told that there were journey men sitting on the bench here in Winnipeg because of the airport and new hydro head office being finished, so you may have a hard time getting your hours in.

You could also see if the in house (staff) electrical departments at City of Winnipeg, the hospitals, U of Manitoba, etc are looking for apprentices.

S
sitem Offline OP
Thanks!! I am thinking about the MB Hydro program. One advantage for me with Hydro, is I am of aboriginal descent and Hydro has programs specifically for aboriginals.

Other then Hydro. Should just apply to some companies and see what happens?

Thanks
sitem

M
That's what my buddies kids did and so fare they are still with the same ones they started with.

J
I work in Winnipeg, ad when I first got into the trade I looked up company's that were part of the Merrit Contractors Association. Me personally I did not want to be a part of the union, and being a part of the Merrit Contractors Association gives me and my wife and son benefits, dental, perscriptions, eyes, you name it. I switched trades from carpentry to electrical, did all my studyiing at Red River and I am still working for the same company that took me on years ago.

Link Copied to Clipboard