ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 377 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#20497 01/15/03 04:20 PM
T
[Linked Image from pages.sbcglobal.net]

If it looked similiar to this,it is listed as one of the top ten OSHA violations according to Leviton.

Donnie
#20498 01/15/03 06:31 PM
N
nichols Offline OP
Nichols, Just a few more questions, so we can understand everyones position on this.
1. Was this a union jobsite?
Nope, not a union jobsite.

2. Are you a union contractor?
Nope
3. Did the electricion whom you refer to identify himself as a union rep. or as a safety officer?
Nope, didnt even know who he was until i found him going up the stairs with a pair of cutters cutting my cord in half, and then when he got to my box, he trashed it..
4. Has your supervisor explained to you the terms of your companies contract and defined your scope of work at this jobsite?
Yea, we're the low voltage team that installs the cabling for the computers and phones to work. This device has been used on other job sites, it was even given a thumbs up by my companys electrical division.. We we're tired of having people tearing up our walkie-talkie battery stands, walking off with our drill chargers, so we made this box..
I have worn many hats over the years and have seen situations as you describe many times. If this was a union jobsite and you are a non-union contractor doing work that has been exempted from a contract. Than be relieved that your extension cord was the only thing damaged. I am not saying this is right or wrong, however this is what its like working with the big boys.

Instead of going back to your teacher and complaining, you should tell him that you had a new learning experience.

Not going to goto my teacher and complain, I am not complaining to you guys right nows, since i walked up to this gentleman and asked him what his problem was with our cord, and he went into a rant about low voltage techs dont know this and that. I was more looking for an understanding from other electricians.. I didnt want to start a mud slinging contest or anything. I just wanted to know if it was against any code.

BTW, I tried to explain this to the guy on the site, and he refused to listen to me. The only way we used this device , since I have reference to the GFCI, was if they had a spider on site that had one of those GFCI's on it, or some other such device, if not this cord was to be run from the truck.. a power inverter..

#20499 01/15/03 07:01 PM
J
I didn't realize the guy had destroted your cord. That's a little different then telling you get the thing off his site which I based my first comments on.

#20500 01/15/03 07:34 PM
B
Digital cameras are getting cheaper all the time.

#20501 01/15/03 09:13 PM
G
Sounds like the electrician was more of a hazard than your cords!

#20502 01/15/03 09:31 PM
Maybe the "cutting" sparky's company lost the phone/data part of the job to your company, and what he did was "getting even"

I'm not condoning what happened. Along with the majority, I feel your equipment should not have been destroyed. Sounds like there's bad blood on that job

John

John
#20503 01/16/03 08:27 PM
N
nichols Offline OP
Seems like your right, this guy was fired and his lic. is under review? Dont know what that means, but they had secuirty take him off the job site today.. I still am clueless as to what set him off about my cord, but I guess he has problems.. Never knew you could have your lic. under review.. Anyhow.. thanks for your guys inputs.. I was just curious about this, i have nothing but respect for electricians, until they pull what this guy did.. [Linked Image]

#20504 01/16/03 08:32 PM
I
Sometimes Life Is Good [Linked Image]

That must have brightened your day!

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard