ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#204520 12/17/11 07:44 PM
S
I have a remodel coming up that is in an old apartment building. The construction is a little different than I am used to. The building is full masonry supported by large steel and concrete columns and beams. The walls structures are vertical stands of rebar with wire mesh attached and stucco on both sides to make a wall 3 inches thick.

The owner is changing the floor plan and would like to add outlets around some of the rooms. There is existing wiremold around most of the rooms but she would like for that to go away. The current plan is to cut a notch near the bottom of the wall all the way to the outlets, attach 4x4 boxes and pipe them together. This would put the outlets in the 8" baseboard that is going in. What is the best way to run the inside corners with the pipe? Or is there a better way to do the whole thing?

K
With that much labor involved, I think I would probably try and talk them into going with the Wiremold Access 5000 raceway instead. It's an 8-inch low profile nonmetallic baseboard system that can handle both line and low voltage. You can get it in white and a few other colors as well as a couple of different wood veneers to match the existing interior.
The best thing is that you can make the inevitable future changes like additional outlets, phone and CATV jacks without having to break out the rotary hammer and chisel.

Wiremold Access 5000

Are apartment buildings subject to the ADA requirements?

If they are, the receptacles in the 8" baseboard will be a violation, because they're mounted too low.

Heed Eleectures words! Check with ALL the local AHJs before you get into anything. ADA requirements are determined by codes other than the NEC!

John
K
I can’t say that I recall reading anything about the ADA applying to private residential apartments before, unless maybe it was the actual rental office or a specified model apartment that is to be shown to the public for sales/rental purposes. I suppose if it is housing targeted toward the handicapped or elderly, it would though. I also see it applying to Hotel/Motel rooms due to them being public accommodations.

T
www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada

Website of the ADA Technical Assistance Center.

These are the go-to fellas for Act Guidelines.

Tesla
S
There have been several renovations in the building within the last 2 years and none of them meet the ada requirements. However, whatever height they mount at, I still need to embed the pipe in the wall and turn inside corners. I like the wiremold 5000, but I don't know if they will want the electrical to determine their baseboard style and height. Does wiremold 500 meet the requirement of the nailguard to run romex in the wall just under the surface?

IMHO, the Wiremold raceway (500) complies for 'physical damage' protection.

That said, are you thinking about NM in 500 raceway? Or ??

John
Even if you could manage to fit the NM in 500 Wiremold (which is a little over 1/2" in depth), you'd still have problems with the internal or external elbows.

NM requires a bending radius of 5 times the diameter of the cable.

G
5000 guys, not 500.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard