ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 516 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Cat Servant
Brand reccomendations .....

Look to who you have in your area - you want a dealer who can service the stuff, and will help you design the entire installation.

Kohler, Onan, Caterpillar ... are all fine businesses.

I can't make it any more clear .... the brand / model of the genny is the most irrellevant detail. In any event, it's the dealers who are in a position to have an opinion on the topic- not the sparky.

Far more important is correct sizing, fuel choice, and the correct ancillary equipment. I would take a correctly designed system with a China Diesel generator over and incomplete design with a massively oversized Cat any day of the week.

Fact is, most homeowners' true 'emergency' needs can be met with a pair of 1000 watt portables with extension cords. (Just enough to keep the furnace blowing and the fridge cold). For that, I recommend Panasonic first, Honda second, Coleman third.

Then again, I do not consider the loss of TV viewing to be an emergency.

H
I have been doing a ton of inspections for resi generators. The problems I see is that a home owner can buy the generator for the same price If not less than the EC can. Now the twist. If the EC buys it, will he provide service for the generator? Maybe if he buys from a larger company. However if the homeowner buys it, most times there is no service guarantee at all. So if I was buying it, I would go to a reputable company and look for the one that offers service to your machine down the road.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard