ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
That is one of the biggest problems with this technology. They can select phosphors for particular light bands and you can select LEDs for just about any single color but you don't get the range of colors that you get off of a glowing wire.
That is particularly when you start dimming them and get the softer yellows and reds mixed in.
Maybe they will start coming out with "kitchen and bathroom" phosphors in the curly lights (they probably already do) but expect them to cost more. I am still not sure how you soften the light on a LED.

Greg Fretwell
T
I heard that some manufacturers mix in red LEDs with the white ones in those big corn cobs in order to get decent warm white light. Haven't seen one for real though... all I've seen so far cast a dim bluish or greenish light, worse than any CFL.

G
A "white" LED is always going to have red green and blue chips in it. The question is at what balance it is there. They still end up being perceived as monochromatic across the entire current curve, unlike an incandescent that goes from yellow to white with a lot of colors in the range.
It is the difference between white noise and pure white.

I suppose they could make the light less pure if they dithered the drive to each chip and gave the resulting light more dynamic range.

Greg Fretwell
I've noticed on many store shelves, that the "energy efficient" type of incandescents (i.e., 58W instead of 60) are taking place of the standard type, although the difference is negligible. Looks like someone's found a loophole. You could also give the encapsulated halogen lamps a try.

As long as you're skilled at shopping on the Internet, I'm sure you will be able to find the old style incandescents for many years to come, so long as China keeps cranking them out for the online market.

In England this spring an electrical wholesaler told me that the ban on incandescents only applies to domestic dwellings, ie they will continue to be available for business use in the UK. I'm going over next week for my annual Christmas Pudding and Mince Pies fix. Might stock up on a few- for the shop of course, mustn't upset the EU thought-police!

Wood work but can't!
Looks like you'll be able to waste a few extra watts for the forseeable future:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...scent-light-bulb-ban/#.TuuoEWUvwEc.email

Yes, the moriturium on the ban is hidden within a 1200+ page pile of legislation. I guess, if ya want something passed, ya attach it to something that is a 'shoe-in'.

I have to wonder if the bulb mfgs are going to restore production??

John
K
KJay Offline OP
I for one, was glad to hear about this. I’ll bet two seconds after the legislation containing the moratorium was signed the lobbyist were on the phone trying to get it undone.
I’m not sure if actual manufacturing production ever really stopped, but no matter. Companies like Feit will likely continue to supply an almost unlimited amount of reasonably priced 100-Watt bulbs even if all the US manufacturers attempt to cease production as a way of forcing their hand.

N
The only thing this did was remove funding for enforcement, the ban is still here, just no funds to make em comply.

K
KJay Offline OP
Well, I guess if that’s all they can do for the moment, it’s better than nothing. Whatever it takes to derail belligerent government meddling.
I’ve been using the curly CFL bulbs all through the rest of my house for several years now and have been quite happy with them and the quality of light, but IMO, we just don’t need the government telling us we can’t use less expensive, full-wattage A-19 bulbs in locations that they are a better design for, like an unheated basement, garage, storage shed, crawl space or attic where colder temperatures are common and outside lights exposed to snow and ice accumulation during the cold winter months.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard