ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
E
So I'm sitting here tonight watching one of my favorite TV shows (Ghost Hunters). The team is investigating reports of apparitions in an old house.

They bring in all kinds of paranormal-detecting hardware, cameras, cables, microphones, you name it. They put on an impressive show. They then move to the basement with their hand-held EMF detectors and note high readings in the area of the home's two circuit breaker panels. They then follow along the 3/4" copper water lines that run throughout the basement, noting again that the EMF readings in the vicinity of these pipes are high.

Keep in mind: These guys are supposedly 'plumbers' for Roto-Rooter as their day job.

Their conclusion is that the apparitions are only appearing in areas of the house where these water pipes are running beneath. They feel that these high EMF readings are being caused due to the fact that the electrical system is grounded (their word, not mine) to the water pipes. "This grounding is causing high EMF readings that can be causing the apparitions in the rooms above the pipes".

Their solution? They instructed the homeowner to contact an electrician to have all of this electrical 'grounding' removed from the copper water pipes to eliminate the high EMF.

Yeah, OK. That sounds like a perfect solution. And here I had been thinking for years of watching this show that these guys had some level of credibility. So much for that.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
One of the many misinformed TV shows. Hopefully, the owner calls a qualified electrician!!

John
E
Agreed, John. Somehow, I can hear them saying "but the ghost hunters said that you need to remove this ground clamp from our water main to make the spirits go away".

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
Funnier yet is a person may actually find 'someone' to do it!!

John
T
twh Offline
What level of credibility did you think they might have?

In my house, I have a metal sewer pipe that is also required to be grounded, so I'm safe. Any ghosts in that electro-magnetic field are on their way out.

Cat Servant
SOunds like well educated plumbers ... come on over, let me show you a 'ghost voltasge' on my meter!

G
These guys are just making more ghosts to insure future income

Greg Fretwell
Broom Pusher and
One of the Project Managers at the Office loves that Show!

Will have to "Subtlety" mention this information to him - if only to get a laugh!

Now we all will have a new Urban Myth to Debunk:
Poltergeist -vs- Bonding

Let the games begin!!! cry

-- Scott

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
Is dangerous ectoplasm staining your carpets? Are poltergeists rearranging your wife's flowers? Do your kids keep digging up Grandpa in the basement?

Protect your home with an ECN Extra-Sensory Percepetion Device®! [ESPD] Only €19.99!!

Save$$$$! Knock loudly and ask for Bill [ "B-I-I-L-L-L-L-L"] or call us tonite on your ouija board. sick
Whooooooo!

Wood work but can't!

Link Copied to Clipboard