ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Greg:

HCF is one that 'the book' has to be available! Yes, there is a lot of reading. The Plan Review for most HCF here (NJ) is done by DCA, which I feel is a blessing for me.

John
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

B
BigB Offline OP
We will be running the #10 insulated bonding conductor in 3/8 flex for physical protection since it has to go over 150 feet through ceilings and walls. We will use 3/8 flex fittings to enter each enclosure. Anyone see anything I might be missing?

Broom Pusher and
Time to show my Ignorance of HCF Design Protocols... dunno

Let's see if I have the concept of Section 517.14 correct:

The Specified Redundant Grounding Conductor is Installed, so as to Bond all the Panelboards in the same Individual Patient Care Vicinity, and therefore create an Equipotential Plane - where the Potential (Voltage) between any Two Panelboards in this Identified Vicinity will be Theoretically Zero.

The Potential (Voltage) between Equipment / ECG, and "Ground" (Ground being anything from the Floor directly beneath the Panelboard, to the Earthen areas of which the Building's Foundations have been cast in) is of no Relevance in this Design constraint; only the Potential Difference between any Panelboards supplying Branch Circuitry to the same Individual Patient Care Vicinity.

If the above is correct, the Specific Bonding Conductor (and Design constraints for it), is very much similar to the concepts of Swimming Pool Bonding...
i.e.:

----------------------------------------------------------
Within the Bonded Equipment Plane (Swimming Pool, Water in the Pool, The Concrete Decking surrounding the Pool, and the Mechanical Equipment serving the Pool), if someone was to drop an Extension Cord in the Pool's Water (Cord is connected to a 120VAC Source), Persons entering or exiting the Pool will not experience a Shock, as the Plane is of one singular Potential (120V).
-----------------------------------------------------------

Not being involved with the Design Protocols of Health Care Facilities, I am very curious to the ways and Technical aspects of these Projects.

Thanks to all who participated in this Thread!

-- Scott

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
BigB:

JUST A HEADS UP:

You may want to check if the flex connectors you are using are UL for grounding/bonding the flex jacket to the enclosures. Some interpert any grounding/bonding conductors installed in metalic raceway, to require the raceway to be bonded, using listed/labeled connectors.

John
B
BigB Offline OP
Thanks, that was one thing I was thinking about. I have the screw in type that screws inside the flex and I have some 90s, but I do not know the listing status. The 90s are Arlington, not sure about the straights.

T
In such a situation the fear is that the bonding conductor can be 'choked' -- thus leaving a voltage potential if even for only a millisecond -- something that can kill a person who is hooked into the equipotential plane via every manner of conductive gear.

The normal resistance to voltage we have is entirely lost when our saline blood is penetrated by various conductors.

Tesla
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard