ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (ampherder, Scott35), 261 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#20427 01/14/03 01:40 AM
E
elecbob Offline OP
Last month my son graduated from Tulane University with a BS in electrical engineering. At my request, he asked other EE students what a wire nut was. Not one out of eleven students could answer his question.
The really sad part is that he is busy sending out his resum'e and I doubt he will be asked the same question. Maybe, some time in the future, the practical knowledge he has gained by working with dad will help him, it won't help him get a job in engineering. But that's just my opinion.
dad

[This message has been edited by elecbob (edited 01-14-2003).]

#20428 01/14/03 02:27 AM
Broom Pusher and
elecBob,

Tell your Son Congrats from me and the Members of ECN!!!

On the Wirenut subject, while he is an EIT, maybe he could ask a few other EITs - and even some of the PEs at different firms, if they know what a Wirenut is.
Chances are that only the guy with the Stamp will know what one is - unless the firm doesn't have an "Older / Seasoned" PE that has the Stamp, then it's anyone's guess if anyone knows what a Wirenut is!

Ohhh, such a cruel thread! [Linked Image]

Scott s.e.t.

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#20429 01/14/03 09:40 AM
T
elecbob wrote:
At my request, he asked other EE students what a wire nut was. Not one out of eleven students could answer his question.

[Linked Image from 65.108.216.53]

Once they find out you're a wire nut, they might take you away. That's why they probably never saw one before [Linked Image]

#20430 01/14/03 10:45 AM
J
JBD Offline
What field of Electical Engineering is his degree in?

Why do people (especially electricians) assume that all electrical engineers have (or should have)the same knowledge base?

Everyone accepts the fact that medical doctors have specialties, well the same is true of all engineering fields. I would not expect an electrical engineer specializing in Electronic Circuit Design to know any thing about any systems over 5-12VDC. By the same token I would not expect a "Power Systems and Machinery" engineer to fix my computer.

#20431 01/14/03 10:52 AM
A
Much to my chagrin today, I never went to college and pursued what I now believe a subject that I would have done very well in. I asked a contractor friend of mine that had a BSEE for quite some time, the following question. Since most electrical engineering starts out in theoretical, and then seems to move to, for the lack of a better term, microelectronics; computers, and more electronic areas, when or how does a student move towards power and wiring on a level not necessarily measured in milliamps? I don’t recall the answer, but I believe I took away the impression that since the strongest area of growth is going to be in the “electronics” area, that’s where the money is. That’s also where there is more opportunity now. Perhaps we’re, (building wiring type people) somewhat akin to the dinosaur these days, but that’s OK. I’m proud of the company I keep. I believe that we will be here in some form, for a good time to come; we just have to take care of our trade.

As an aside, congratulations to your son, and his classmates, and best of luck to them. I’m sure “dad” will do his best to guide him in his further studies.

#20432 01/14/03 03:27 PM
Broom Pusher and
Sometime back, Bob had mentioned his Son was planning to become an EE in the Power Systems field (A Licensed "PE"), which is why I replied to his message with a "Power Engineering Bias".

I should have made note of this, so new members would be aware (sorry!).

There was also a moderately long thread about PEs and NEC knowledge. Not sure when or where it was, but an archive search will uncover these threads.

Scott s.e.t.

p.s. love that visual description of a "Wire Nut", posted by ThinkGood!!!
LOL!!!

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#20433 01/14/03 08:45 PM
J
As a teacher once told me everyone knows what BS is.
MS = More of Same
PHD = Piled Higher and Deeper

#20434 01/21/03 12:55 PM
S
My wife is an EE. She works for a company that designs computer chips that run at 40 Giga bytes per second. It is truly cutting edge stuff. She would not know what a wire nut is. However when she talks about her work my eyes glaze over and I feel completley stupid. I have an Industrial Engineering degree myself. She will bring me stuff home from work that blows me away. I look at and think, I remember seeing that in college but there is no way that I could solve that equation. The people that she works with are truly brilliant.

One time she brought home some notes that a guy had written on some scratch paper. It looked like my calculus book. And this was off the top of his head. At the company christmas party there were 6 PhDs sitting at one table.

To sum up what I am saying. I have a lot of respect for you guys who work out in the field and I have a lot of respect for the people that my wife works with. I have been fortuante to interact with both types of people. Like I have said before, it is just a different knowledge base.

Scott

#20435 01/21/03 03:32 PM
G
I guess that the same could be said for anyone.

The only person I know working in high power areas has a PhD in heat transfer.

Too little insulation and the wire melts. Too much insulation and the wire melts.

#20436 01/21/03 06:24 PM
B
On EE-education “advances”…

[Linked Image from gowest.coalliance.org]

Electrical laboratory, Colo. School of Mines, Golden ca.1920-1930

Interior view of the electrical classroom laboratory, Colorado School of Mines, Golden, Jefferson County, shows male students conducting experiments with generators, conductors, distribution boards and lines and other equipment. The instructor wears a suit and looks over the group.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard