ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 268 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#204148 11/16/11 08:58 PM
Cat Servant
Yesterday was a watershed moment for me, as my humble hovel was scheduled to receive internet service.

Frequent readers will know that I moved from the Sierra mountains to the mudflats of the Mississippi. My home is quite modest, and in need of great remodeling. A complete gut.

Well, the Cable guy was quite sharp ... he immediately noted the lack of a ground rod -service change will be later this month- and announced he couldn't do the install, as he didn't have a rod, etc.

Are we smiling yet? Can you guess where this is going?

So ... I produce MY ground rod ... MY tool to drive it in ... and, before he can make it all the way back to his truck, I have the rod in. All the way. Gee, we're not in Reno any more; it was like pushing through warm taffey.

I wish I had a picture of the expression on his face. smile

So, he began to set up for the install. Now arrives his boss, and a third man, all set to explain why they just couldn't install the service. Oops.

The upshot is that I now - finally- have reliable, unfiltered, unrestricted internet service .... and have entered the folklore of the local cable community.

Now ... if I could only teach them the CORRECT way to drill old cement siding frown

Last edited by renosteinke; 11/16/11 08:59 PM.
Reno:

"Now ... if I could only teach them the CORRECT way to drill old cement siding "

FWIW, the Fios guy don't know how to either!!

Surprized they didn't think that it is the 'A' siding!

BTW, did you install the IBT at the rod?? or only the cable using the rod?

John
Cat Servant
Alas, it IS the old asbestos cement siding. Replacement a few years in the future ,,, not for the asbestos, but because of the lead paint!

Service change not yet done ... just the ground rod in so far. I plan to transfer their ground to the T&B "IBT2" clamp, that will attach to the meter can.

T
A question I absolutely have to ask as an Oldhousweweb forums member laugh
Do you know whether there is any nice old wood siding hidden underneath the asbestos? Sometimes people find nearly pristine wood upon removing newer siding, only needing a good coat of paint.

Cat Servant
The frame was sheathed with boards - rather than plywood- covered with tar paper, then the siding applied.

Texas ... I need to stress this point for the general audience here ... due to the new EPA rules here, it's not the asbestos fibers in the siding that will cause me problems. Rather, the new "RRP" rules mean that the lead paint that was applied to the siding will cause major issues for me. Even at its' worst excess, the asbestos hysteria didn't come close to the lead-paint jihad the EPA has begun.

Painting over the lead paint does not solve the issue. While "encapsulating" the paint qualifies, it's not really a viable option. This leaves me with simply removing the old siding and replacing it.

I've mentioned it before ... these lead rules are a bulls-eye on every electrical contractor. They are a MAJOR change in the way we do business and do our jobs.

K
Right now, it seems the loophole for a HO to get around the current RRP "lead is suddenly more dangerous than it has ever been before" paranoia is to do the tear out themselves, since it appears the way the RRP law is written, it doesn’t apply to home owners doing their own work, only to contractors or others doing work for hire.

Cat Servant
To get back on point, there's a common element between this thread, and others where I have discussed various aspects of the house.

That common element is the haste with which various parties have tried to say 'no' when offered business. Imagine, had you called for a pizza, and the guy answered with 'you won't like it, it's dark outside, maybe you live too far away ..."

Well, that's what I'm hearing from contractors: "no" is the assumed answer, and it's uphill from there. These are the same guys who will complain about not having enough work, etc. Do you think there's a connection?

Can anyone provide substantiation or clarification of the lead law as to HOs being exempt?

John
K
Originally Posted by HotLine1
Can anyone provide substantiation or clarification of the lead law as to HOs being exempt?

This is from the EPA RRP website regarding homeowners. This doesn’t apply to landlords with rental properties.
EPA RRP

Information for Homeowners Working at Home
If you are a homeowner performing renovation, repair, or painting work in your own home, EPA's RRP rule does not cover your project. However, you have the ultimate responsibility for the safety of your family or children in your care. If you are living in a pre-1978 home and planning to do painting or repairs, please read a copy of EPA's Renovate Right: Important Lead Hazard Information for Families, Child Care Providers, and Schools (PDF) lead hazard information pamphlet.

Kjay:

Thank you! That's it.

John

Link Copied to Clipboard