ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, gfretwell), 533 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
For a while here the inter system grounding point was just a stub of #4 sticking out of the wall from behind the meter can. Other than that we don't usually see a bare GEC on new construction because they use a Ufer, not a rod. That connection is usually made up behind a 4x4 cover in a core of the block wall.
In old work, with a rod, it is usually directly under the meter base, GEC in EMT.

Greg Fretwell
Reno:
I have (somewhere) $$ on the device you are talking about, I'll see if I can find it.

As I said above, our utility cos do not allow anything on the meter pan. That's why I usually mention NJ within my comments here, to save confusion.

Common practice here is #6 outside, no conduit, unless there is physical damage. The Arlington blocks are popular, with other versions also.

John
H
Reno,

I have been going to my local Electrical supply house for 35 years. I still go to them for simple stuff like AA batteries. I know I can get them at other places for a lot less, but these guys know me and I have been shopping there for 30 years. I also know that they can't compete against those big box stores, but these are my friends and I don't want to see them close down.

Funny thing, I am an AHJ in 4 towns around my supply house and when I go on to the jobs, the EC treat with respect. "Yes Sir" etc. However when I go back to my old supply house, they treat me like they always did, with "Hey You A**HOLE". I know that they are only kidding, but it still feels good to comeback to an old friends. I also call the owner of the supple house a friend and a A-hole. smile

S
That's friendship right there. Name calling and still buds at the end of the day

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
harold:

I wish the 'old' supply houses were still around! I miss Surrey Electric, Merit Electric.

John
H
John,

I too have lost several old supply houses around here. Luckily mine friends are hurting, but they are still open. I can just go into the supply house, walk around the counter and get anything I need. The guys there all know me and trust me. They all love to bust my chops too. smile I can take it and I bust them all back.

I can't do that with the big box stores. Now granted my supply house can't buy box cars full of wire either. So the big box store has a better price on their wire. Also my supply house will still deliver parts to my house or to the job site when you need them.

What was the advertisement going around this week? The announcer says that the Saturday after Black Friday is Local businessman's day. He asks us all to shop at a local store. I still try to shop local when I can, although I know that I can't get everything local anymore. frown

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard