ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 256 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Niko Offline OP
I don't quite understand when/why the neutral needs to get switched when a generator is involved in a residential system. Can you explain please.

i am installing a manual transfer switch but am wondering if i need to switch the neutral as well?

Thanks

Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live

G
The electrical system needs the neutral to be grounded at 1 and only 1 point.

If both your normal Service and your generator have grounded neutrals, when they are connected together you will have the neutral of the system grounded at 2 points, which is a no-no.

If your generator neutral is grounded, you need to switch the neutral; if your generator neutral is not grounded, you can allow it to be connected to the normal system's ground via the system's neutral.

Ghost307
Niko Offline OP
Thanks Ghost,
they (the customer) will be installing a portable generator until a permanent one can be purchased.

Are neutrals usually grounded on the portable units? or it varies? and if it is grounded can i disconnect the neutral from the generator frame? Or i am messing up the listing?

G
There is usually a comment in the instructions of how to lift the bond in the generator if you are making this a non-SDS.
(not switching the neutral). I think Hondas come floating and most others are bonded from the factory.

Greg Fretwell
K
I’ve never switched a neutral on a resi transfer switch, whether automatic or manual. I just make the appropriate change to the ground connection at the generator itself.

Niko Offline OP
OK. Thanks.

i think now my question turns to SDS. why would would someone choose not to remove the neutral. or any advantage of SDS or non- SDS?

i know the definition of SDS but i dont think i have a 100% grasp as to why you would have one or wouldn't.

G
I can't think of any good reason to create an SDS in 120/240v systems. Usually you apply this when you would be changing from delta to wye or some other significant system change.

Greg Fretwell
S
Check with your POCO. a few years ago, I saw a commercial for another POCO and they had a shot on a xfer switch and wasn't switched. I contacted them and they said they didn't want the neutral switch

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
Niko Offline OP
OK thank you for the replies.

Link Copied to Clipboard