ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#203653 10/17/11 10:50 PM
S
sudsy4 Offline OP
Information, suggestions on installations in metal ( block to 4 ft then metal to 30 ft) will be appreciated. I have 30 yrs experience in commercial/ industrial construction but not metal buildings. Pictures would be very useful.
Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Bill

Bill
sudsy4 #203654 10/17/11 11:12 PM
G
Sounds like a regular EMT job to me. That is what I see everywhere.

Greg Fretwell
sudsy4 #203655 10/17/11 11:28 PM
T
Get a Hilti for any direct mountings to heavy steel.

Typically you'll have Z channels in the horizontal. They make for natural EMT racks.

Be wary of 1/2" EMT -- somehow extra circuits always pop-up at the last moment.

Such jobs go much quicker if 3/4" EMT is the smallest EMT you employ.

Tesla
sudsy4 #203656 10/17/11 11:30 PM
W
Last metal building I did was an auto repair shop. Ran a 4 inch wireway down the center and brought all the branch circuits out of it. Worse part is the exit from the trough, either end up using a cornering ell, or bending back to back 90s with the second one being overbent to match the slope of the roof. One hole straps work well for pipes going perpindicular to the ceiling joists, paralell runs usually end up on the sides of the beams, with one hole straps for support. Tek screws are good for the thin steel, the heavier beams have to be predrilled to prevent breaking the screws.

Jimmy

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid
sudsy4 #203658 10/18/11 12:49 PM
Cat Servant
Metal buildings ... both a blessing and a curse.

"Minor" pipe runs can be done using beam clamps and Mineralacs. You'll still need to mind your bends, as the saddles around the uprights and doors add up.

Going vertical -if you're strict about it- means you first need to build a secondary support, as the Z-purlins are usually more than 10ft. apart.

You WILL need some horizontal runs across the ceiling. Again, the structural steel is far more than 10ft. apart; 25ft. is common. So .... cut to the chase ... you WILL need to construct a proper trapeze and hang it from the Z-purlins up there. Since 'extra' pipes keep appearing, design it plenty big.

Where you do need to mount to the sheet metal 'skin,' your best bet is the old-fashioned toggle screw.

As a 'design note,' plan on having a junction box at every column; sooner or later someone will need something there.

While it's a pipe-bending nightmare, try to place your receptacles between the flanges of the I-beams. That's the only way to protect them from forklifts, etc.

S
sudsy4 Offline OP
Thanks for info, will be asking further help I'm sure. Still in a mudd hole waiting on the Brikies at this point in the game. Biggest concern at moment is transition from block walls (flush mount in the block ) to the metal walls.

Bill

Link Copied to Clipboard