ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
P
I've got a municipal project that needs to have the earth ground resistance measured using the fall-of-potential method.

From what i can determine this takes a meter with a couple of probes to stick in the ground at specific distances from the ground ring. Aside from that type of device (like a Fluke 1625), they make a earth ground tester that is a clamp on tester. I realize that the clamp on testor won't give me a fall-in-potential measurement but is there a major difference in the two types of testors?

T

Tesla
Tesla:

Thanks for the nice informational link!!!

John
K
I looked into getting one of the clamp on ground testers a few years back, but after I read up on them, I wasn’t confident about the accuracy or if it would do what was needed, so I opted for a traditional 3-point tester kit instead. They may have made improvements to them since then though.
The Tech Tips pdf below sort of hits on some of the things I was reading about back then.

Clamp on Method

P
Great article on the diffences.

I've decided to rent the Fluke 1625 for a couple hundred bucks.

N
It's been a while since I have been here, Just completed aroject where every building had to have the grounds tested. We used an EXTECH 3 point ground tester. Cost for a new one is about $180.00
Not as fancy or as capable as the fluke referenced above but good enough to test grounding before power is applied. The model we used instructions said not to be used if voltage tested above 10 volts

ed
M
I used that EXTECH 3 point meter on a distribution system for a eye glass manufacturer the equipment purchased was from Germany. That meter worked really well.

Link Copied to Clipboard