ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 268 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Does anyone know of a tool that cuts 1/2" flex ?? I have one that cuts 3/8" flex, but one would be nice that cuts 1/2" flex in cases where there are wires already in the flex. Any thoughts?? Thanks.. Steve
P.S. "other than a hacksaw:)"

Last edited by sparkync; 09/27/11 05:29 PM.
G
I have seen guys do it with diagonal cutters. (the trade name may be politically incorrect these days) wink

Crack the spiral loose and bite at the dislodged armor strip. The down side is you might have to rewind it a little to get it back in shape.

Greg Fretwell
Tom Offline
Seatek makes a Roto-Split that handles 1/2" & 3/4" flex. I've had one for quite awhile, can't imagine going back to a hacksaw.

http://www.seatekco.com/

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
S
Tom, I found the site. Looks like just what I'm looking for. I'm thinking about getting the one that cuts from 1/2" to 1 1/2" flex. Have you ever used one of these? And I noticed it says they can also be used on sealtite flex if done right. Have you ever used it on sealtite? Thanks, Steve.

T
I've had them for years and they're the cat's pajamas for Sealtite.

And, yes, they work even if the conductors are in place.

( Signage circuits are like that. )

On Sealtite you use both your razor-knife to cut the plastic jacket and the Rotostrip to cut the metal 'tape.'

Tesla
S
Man, looks like I know where to spend some money before tax time again. I see some great tools for saving time. The uf stripper looks like it may be worth it, especially on old uf cable. The new I know can be pretty well pulled apart with two sets of pliars, but some of the old stuff is a "bear".
Thanks again for information.

Cat Servant
The trick for sealtite is to use the tool to make the cut in the metal, then use a knife to cut the rubber/pvc jacket around the sealtite at that point.

For larger sizes, you can USUALLY do the same thing using an angle grinder .... I say 'usually' as I have encountered 4" sealtite that was not made as a spiral wrap, and I had to cut all the way around it.

My one complaint about the roto-split tools: they are gray in color, and far too easy to misplace. I have found it necessary to paint mine the brightest colors I can find.

C
I've always just used my sawsmost, but put the tool on the ground or a bench, on its back and pushed the flex into the blade, sort of like a bench band saw, as long as your not holding the motor and the work the wobble isnt much, but you cant use this trick if the wires are present.

G
I guess I am just old and have been away from the field too long but the good old hacksaw was what I saw the most.
Some guys had a little one that fit in the pouch but it was still a hacksaw.

Greg Fretwell
Reno:
A lanyard clip on my belt and a piece of jack chain attached to the roto-splits solved the 'can't find its'

John
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard