ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Greg:

The guys discussing the 'whips' have to chime back in with what type of connectors they have seen on the FMC whips. The point I wanted to bring out is the "4-1/2'" support measurement, not so much the connector issues.

John
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

T
I would NEVER term these whips FMC -- they are listed assemblies -- like MC.

Whereas one can re-pull conductors in FMC -- such is entirely impossible for these assemblies.

While longer whips -- evidently -- are possible -- in our jobs the typical M/S were not all that far apart.

Their great appeal is energy efficiency for A/B switching in a commercial setting.

I've never seen any AHJ go for the 4.5' rule -- they use the MC 6' standard, instead.

Lithonia's ReLoc is another listed assembly -- which always gets treated like it's MC.

ReLoc is available in very long distances -- and if you're willing to pay-up -- Lithonia will custom manufacture to your spec's. You'd better have the volume budget of Walmart, though.

While ReLoc saves labor, big time, it is pricy. It's plug & play nature requires no competence from the scissor man. It also eliminates j-boxes like crazy.

Tesla
Tesla:

IF the 'whips' are treated as a mfg assembly...

604.7 Installation.
Manufactured wiring systems shall be secured and supported in accordance with the applicable cable or conduit article for the cable or conduit type employed.
Manufactured wiring systems are permitted to be constructed using the wiring methods described in 604.6(A). The installation requirements for these wiring methods are contained in Chapter 3. The securing and supporting requirements for manufactured wiring systems are taken from the Chapter 3 article that covers the wiring method employed in construction of the system.

IMHO, IF there are any mfg 'directions', or installation instructions, that would be the path to follow. Otherwise, the debate over which Chapter 3 wiring method will continue.

John
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard