ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Hi everyone!
I am new here. Very informative site and forum. Thanks!!!
As a Journeyman I do part time business for 3 years.
Get tied from stressful residential service type of work.
Commercial buildings seem very attractive to me as a future small projects in service/maintenance area.
Any helpful ideas, tips how can I get new customers in property management sector?
I tried to send my Business Resume rescently. No results.
Thanks for any responses.

Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
G
The trick is to get your foot in the door. My wife is the site manager for a 800 door gated community and they always look for qualified tradesmen but it is usually going to be a word of mouth business. If you can get a good reputation in that industry you will have more work than you can handle.
See if there are any community manager groups in your area that have meetings and see if you can get in to shake some hands and pass out some cards. The work will be everything from pumps and lake aerators to parking lot lights and kitchen equipment. The electrician my wife uses only has 2 customers and he is staying very busy.

Greg Fretwell
E
Thank you Gfretwell,
Not many words but "in core".
any community manager groups in your area that have meetings
One more question please.
Any few examples of those words. What direction I should follow to?
Really, a very new subject for me.
Thanks

G
In Florida we have a Community Association Manager license and these people have several groups in that career path that have meetings to share information and generally just socialize. I would look into how that works in your area and see if you can't get into that clique.
It is really similar to groups like the IAEI for electrical inspectors or the various trade groups for the trades.
Another hook into these people might be real estate companies that specialize in property management.
Of course you could just cold call these places but it is easier if you can get an "in". Most of these folks turn away several salesmen a day. It works a lot better if you can get some word of mouth going.

Maybe some of the other guys here have other ideas because I am just seeing this from the aspect of looking out the gate, not looking in wink

I do know it can get to be a steady job in a tough market.

Some tips, dress nicely and be personable. This is the retail business. Return your calls promptly. The property manager you are working for, has a building full of residents bugging them "is it done yet"?. If you leave them hanging, they will not call you back.

Greg Fretwell
E
Gfretwell,
Your information priceless!!!
I think it's more than enough to start.
Now I will act.
Thank you again. Great help!

Last edited by Electrician7; 09/23/11 03:32 AM.
Electrician7:

In addition to Gregs very good comments, I want to ad:

I started out 30 years back, as a '1-man band' with work coming from a person I respected, and had a working relationship with. He was a plumb/HVAC contractor, and I was a foreman for an EC. I went out on my own, and he called me, & introduced me to a few 'good' people.

Thru the years, those 'few' intro's to 'more' & the beat went on! Basically, it was a good run for 27 years! Expanded to five trucks, eight men. 98% commercial/industrial work, with a lot of maintenance. All referrals, no advertising to speak of.

That said, returning calls, and showing up is what I conside 'priority one'. Along with that, first class work, neat appearances, & continued reliability.

Getting the 'first' (or second) step or foot in the door is the key. having the door 'open' & remaining 'open' requires great service & response.

Good luck! Stay safe, & WELCOME to ECN! Don't be a stranger to this forum!!

John
E
HotLine1,
Thank you for your comments also. Very helpful.
...and hopeful. smile
I will stay here. Good place to come.
Generaly, I have a full time job as an electrical designer/drafter.
Plus, part-time business.
I'd like to keep this balance redirecting my service business from residential to commercial.
Many people, many jobs for 3 years. The same people call me back for new small projects.
But I am tied from financial issues. Residential sector is too low. Too much time for estimation, material purchesing ect. I understand customers. Also, my skills grow. And I expect good return.
I gave AD on KJJJ, local newspapers. The same story. Residential or "unprofitable" commercial jobs.
My feeling is that I can do more.
Quality and quick responce are no issue for me.
The main borderline is a customer budjet.
Thanks again everyone.

E
I would like to add.
As long as I am doing part-time business, I made an estimation rule. It's based on residential customers payment availability and psicology. And I accept their point. It's totaly understandable.
Any price over $400.00 is "too much".
That's why I don't do services with panel upgrades.
Basements are different. But property market is down now. Not a lot of them.
Many my customers are happy. They call me over and over in while.
But...
Last year I spent 5K for my truck routing mantenance and repair.
Well. That's why I opened this topic.

Originally Posted by Electrician7
Hi everyone!
I am new here. Very informative site and forum. Thanks!!!
As a Journeyman I do part time business for 3 years.
Get tired from stressful residential service type of work.
Commercial buildings seem very attractive to me as a future small projects in service/maintenance area.
Any helpful ideas, tips how can I get new customers in property management sector?
I tried to send my Business Resume recently. No results.
Thanks for any responses.

First off, thanks for coming here and I must say Welcome!

Trying to build any business on mere domestic work is taking a very BIG gamble, I tried this back in the mid-90's, you are pretty much at the mercy of wether your customer is willing to pay, AFTER the work has been done.

Move forward say 7 years, I had spoken to a number of factory owners here that had bad lighting, they wanted this upgraded.
From there, I was asked if I would take over the servicing on their machinery in one factory.
Let it be said, that if you do a good job, word gets around, if you screw your first job up, move out of town.

But at least commercial/industrial places pay on time.

E
Thank you Trumpy,
I thought about lighting service contracts. Looks very interesting to me. I guess steady job.
I don't give AD now, get calls for weekends from old customers. They want to finish everything before the winter comes. No problem with resy.
If I get something as a school, a big store or a factory plant to change lighting tubes and ballasts.
Evenings and weekends. Could be very great. And it's clear for me. They expect good job. smile
Thank you for direction. I try to analize this topic and generate new moves for myself.

Last edited by Electrician7; 09/24/11 12:34 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard