ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#203327 09/21/11 09:18 PM
Niko Offline OP
I am planning on installing a manual transfer switch (200A) for a standby residential generator. The transfer switch will be immediately after the main 200Amp disconnect. My question is do i need to have a fused or non-fused transfer switch. Please provide NEC reference so i will learn and know for future.

Thanks for the replies

Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

S
It will have alot to do with which code revision you are under and local code. I'm out of the office and way from me code books as long as you wire the switch as a 200 and switch all the way through you generator panel then I don't see a need for additional OCPD's. It's protected.

A little side note with my inspector cap on, its my humble opinion even though it sounds like you are just doing an add on, it has to meet current code. I do belive in the 2008 cycle requires an automatic switch, not manual

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa
Niko Offline OP
We are under the 2008 NEC and it seems Manual switch is allowed. The main service is 200Amps but the portable generator is rated at 50Amps. I am installing 200Amp switch for future capability.

K
If it’s a 200A transfer switch on the load side of the 200A service disconnecting means, I don’t see why it would need to be fused, especially if its service rated and sized for the full load.
I don’t see anything the NEC that would require it either and I have never been required to install a fused transfer switch on a residence before. The generators I’ve installed all had their own built in OCP, which was rated lower than the maximum rating of the transfer switch.

Niko:

Ditto to what Kjay said above. OCP before xfr switch & full rated & service rated...no issues.

John
Niko Offline OP
I appreciate your replies.

Learning never exhausts the mind.

Link Copied to Clipboard