ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Here's a video clip showing the installation of some PVC by landscape contractors. This is electrical work and should be done by licensed electricians! Underground installation in a park

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
Is this low voltage for sprinklers or line voltage?

Greg Fretwell
Common trade practice regarding conduit has been that 'laborers' are allowed to install it. Duct banks for data/comm around here, are all 'laborer' installs. As far as I am aware, our POCO uses 'laborers' also. Keep in mind that these 'laborers' are union.

The cable/wire is 'sparkies' or CWA guys.

An old tale around here is 'once upon a time, the electricians were 'to busy' to want the UG pipe work'. Lately, the 'story' ahs changed, due to guys being 'not busy'; but it's too late.

John
G
Landscape guys do all of the sprinkler work here. Generally, as long as it is the typical 24vac, the AHJ does not get too concerned. They just want to be sure the controller plugs into a compliant 120v GFCI receptacle (in use cover etc)
The sprinkler valve wires usually get run with the pipe.

Greg Fretwell
Greg:
Ditto on the lawn irrigation up here.

From the video, it sure don't look like it's an irrigation job!

John
The rules in 300.5 for a warning ribbon above the conduit applies to service conductors only, not encased by concrete.

So Joe must have known that this was going to be used for a service, and not for any other use, such as a feeder, communications,etc.

G
I suspect he "knows" what he could see through the fence.

Greg Fretwell
I was unable to determine what type of system it was and will go back this week and check. It probably was not a service lateral. I called out the rule in my clip because I was more concerned with the lack of "qualified persons" who were not licensed here doing the work! wave I was not even sure as to the voltage, goes to show you, that when you are an old man that you have to be careful. dunno

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
G
FPL uses "contractors" (2 guys and a mini Kabota) to put in underground service laterals. The real electricians come in later to make the connections.
Your pictures look pretty normal to me.
Back in the happy days when things were busy most ECs also contracted out the digging. These days they do the work themselves, much to the dismay of guys who hate digging.

Greg Fretwell
SoCa Edison has "contractors" installing the ducts around here too. It doesn't matter if they're electricians or not. The same goes for transformer pads, hand holes, etc.

A SCE inspector will inspect the open trench, slurry when required, mandrel test the ducts, and give the approval for backfill.

The first time SCE has any "electricians" on the job is when they set transformers and pull the conductors into the ducts.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard