ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/22/24 10:36 AM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 211 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Joe:

No, duct tape is not allowed for PVC repairs. There are a few listed items that are allowed, or the pipe is replaced.

With regard to the POCO installing site lighting, they must get permits, and required inspections, on private property. (Not street lighting) There is a NJ Lic Electrical Contractor that must obtain the permit for the POCO lighting, and it also requires all other approvals. BTW, there were three (3) jobs of this type in ten (10) years.

Duct banks that are NOT utility projects require permits & inspections. A current data center project had four (4) duct banks of 48-4" PVC installed by a large construction contractor (laborers & OEs). When they penetrated the building, it is no longer 'utility' and required permits & inspections. (Permit by NJ Lic EC)

As Harold said, there's 'landscape' lighting that is installed without permits & inspections, but we can't catch them all.

Field bends by 'torch' also don't fly, but again...is the job permitted & inspected???

John
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
The only place I ever see the PoCo installing lighting on private property is when it is in an easement where they already have poles.

Also, using a torch to bend this wiring method is not acceptable!

Huh? Everyone knows you stick it in the tailpipe if your truck.

How about a heat gun?

Greg Fretwell
T
Pocos in the EUSERC area HATE field made bends -- which means that you're in the hurt locker if your secondaries have to travel through any turn other than: 90, 45, 22.

As for Primaries -- they want seriously huge sweeps in 4" or 5" PVC with concrete encasement.

You Eastern guys don't know how good you've got it. At least you get to dig in soil. Out my way the 'soil' busts out teeth on full sized excavators!

This means that constructing sub-structures takes ten times as long as the Midwest, sometimes even more.

Vibratory plows, my eye!

Tesla
H
Tesla, I live in north Jersey and we live on the tops of mountains, so in some of the towns I inspect, you have a hard time trying to get down 2 feet much less than drive an eight foot ground rod. The EC's will often lay pipe directly on ledge rock and covered with concrete.

G
Harold, Can you get a Ufer up there? That solves the problem here when we hit coral rock a foot under the sand. It is actually the defacto standard here now but they used to use a lot of rods.

Greg Fretwell
T
Greg...

It's Ufers all the way down, here abouts.

Ground rods absolutely do NOT cut it.

( Temp power, excepted )

Tesla
G
I think rods have a use but not as the primary grounding electrode.
You certainly want a real one under your satellite dish (not that copper nail the satco guy uses). You just want them as supplementary electrodes in a bigger system.
I think my house is grounded like a radio station these days.

Greg Fretwell
H
Greg,

When we can't get the ground rods down 8', we might have to lay the rods in the ground in a trench. Most times when the GC runs a service into the house, he has to have ig equipment and he will run a trench for plumbing or electric or telco, so the EC will throw is ground rod in the trench with the rest of the stuff.

H
Tesla,

Yeah all grounds around here are 8' straight down in the earth. No one around here would EVER cut a ground rod. Right?

M
In RI laborers can install the PVC as long as a Journeymen electician supervises. But, He cannot pull the wires or install the wires.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard