ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 04:29 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 94 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
W
I am a homeowner, not an electrician.

Within the next couple of months, I will be having some foundation underpinning work done on my house. It will consist of 5 or 6 piers 12 feet deep and about 12 inches or so in diameter. Also within the next couple of months I will be getting a new service panel. The piers will be on the same side of the house as the service panel.

Our water supply comes in through PVC, so I anticipate that the new service panel will be grounded via ground rod(s).

Is it worth the effort to try to have the grounding system for the new service panel tied in with the foundation piers? From what I have read this will require some effort on the foundation contractor's and/or the electrician's part to ensure that the rebar in the piers are installed such that then can be used in a grounding system.

When I spoke to the electrician about the new service panel I mentioned that we were having the foundation work done. He indicated that he didn't think that there would be much benefit ( perhaps in a strict cost-to-benefit sense ) to trying to do this.

Thanks for any information.

M
mj Offline
the footing steel sould be used "if available" all of the electrodes must be bonded together as per 250.50 2002 nec

E
The foundation piers will give you a substantial ground. The new service will be required to have a grounding electrode and a supplemental grounding electrode.

To put the ground in the piers you will need to commit to a service size in order to size the electrical work in the piers.

You will also need to have the piers inspected by the local electrical inspector before the concrete can be poured.

Al

Al Hildenbrand
S
5 or 6 12 ft deep points of earth contact would be better than a few ground rods.

Especially if those 'footers' are used, more ground contact.

More earh contact is a good thing.....usually.

I don't see a big expense, but i do see some trade coordination to accomplish this.

Link Copied to Clipboard