ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Tesla:

Point made & taken.

Flood damage is a lot more involved than just 'drying out'. The only documentation that I accept would involve large comm (800 amp & up) equipment. The docs would have to be from the original mfg, OR a UL certified rebuilder/reseller. Aftermath of the recent hurricane & flooding produced NO re-certifications. The few comm sites replaced a few transformers (75 to 150 KVA), feeders, and a few fused disconnects.

ALL the resi flood affected electrical was removed & replaced with new. (One complex was 125 meters & mains)

John
H
John,

Yes, I was talking about the larger commercial services. The EC can remove a main breaker and get them re-conditioned.

Cat Servant
And yet ....

Back during the 1995/96 holidays, Reno, Nv., suffered a major flood. One of my customers - an RV/trailer park - was submerged under 6-8ft. of water.

PoCo distribution was underground, stopping every so often to feed a 4-ft. tall cabinet with six PoCo meters in it. Feeds from these meters went to each trailer's pedestal. These cabinets - which were not gasketed - were completely submerged.

To this day, if you open these cabinets you are likely to find an inch or two of silt left by the retreating floodwaters. The cabinets weren't even cleaned, let alone replaced. I suppose it's possible that the meters might have been replaced. Maybe.

We know the main breakers were not replaced, by the silt left on them.

Yet, nearly sixteen years later, I am not aware of any failures of this gear. Is it possible that this whole 'flood damage' issue is drivin by engineers/marketing folks playing at being lawyers, rather than actual experience?

G
Of all the things, I would think the meters would do the best. Aren't they hermetically sealed units? I have seen one bobbing around in the water after a fireman popped it out and it was dry inside. (the Hurricane Agness flood in Md)

As for flood damage, it really depends on how long something was wet and what was in the water. I guarantee the trip curve of your breakers won't be the same if they get salty water in them. It will probably be the classic FP flat line, essentially a one cent fuse.

Greg Fretwell
T
John...

I'll bet there is no fire insurance at hazard.

It's the insurance industry that'll have a cow.

Tesla
H
Greg,

In the one housing complex I inspected, there were 300 electrical meters that went underwater. At least half of them had water in them when I got there a week later to get the power turned back on to the complex.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard