ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/22/24 10:36 AM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 211 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
HotLine1 #203160 09/11/11 08:38 AM
S
I have an old K&T meter as office cha cha, two little holes in, two out. This came from an exposed situation one could walk up to.

In fact, much of the first 'wired after it's built'places in New England had exposed K&T

my code book collection only goes back to the 50's, so i'm just guessing that any exposed to physical damage references may not have existed

much of the K&T run back then was in wooden wiremould, but some of it, for instance in grange halls , or manufacturing shops, remained exposed on porcelian knobs or porcelian tubes

my take is the issue was more esthetic than anything else

in fact, the old mill being renovated in Springfield VT had exposed tubes with an I.D. of over 1" for fat copper 3phase conductors , which they just tapped off of into fuse-only museum worthy panels

~S(land code forgot)parky~

sparky #203162 09/11/11 01:52 PM
L
Sparky,

Any good pictures of the old mill installations?

LarryC #203166 09/12/11 08:44 AM
S
I'll see what i can do Larry,

my C-phone does have a camera

it also has a woman's voice to tell me i'm wrong.....

~S~

gfretwell #203168 09/12/11 09:25 AM
Broom Pusher and

We were watching an old 1934 Gable movie and they had a switch on the wall with two wires coming down that looked like K&T but it was a surface run.

I Stumbled across an episode of Hogan's Heroes last night, where Colonel Klink was, once again, nearly being sent to the Russian Front for Combat duty.

During the scenes, when Major Hocksteter (Sp???) was tearing Klink a new one, the Camera angle showed the Entrance Door to Klink's Office.
On the Right side of the Door, is a Surface Mounted "Rocker" Switch (Two Push Buttons; One for "OFF" at the top, One for "ON" at the bottom).
The Switch is connected via exposed, Surface Mounted Wiring, in the form of a Two-Wire twisted pair of Brown Insulated Conductors, possibly #14 Gauge.

The outcome for Klink was typical; Hogan's Sabotage Unit got Klink cleared of the Charges, then made Hocksteter a Hero - which kept Klink away from the Sub-Zero Frontline gig; and all was happy once again.

-- Scott

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
gfretwell #203169 09/12/11 09:37 AM
H
I think I have seen that K & T wiring on M*A*S*H years ago. I will have to look for an old episode.

I have also seen K & T wiring placed in a wood molding that ran down alongside the door frame and the wire was laid inside of it. Then it would pop out and on to a switch that was surface mounted.

gfretwell #203179 09/12/11 04:13 PM
T
The twisted exposed wiring was pretty common back in the day.
This example is still live (230V) and used pretty much daily (light switch for an enclosed porch).
[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]

Blends right in with the door frame, doesn't it?

The wooden wiremold seems to have been more of a UK/Ireland thing, sometimes it can still be found, such as in the Belfast Hostel Paddy's Palace in 2008:
[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]
As you can see, the electricians didn't want to touch the plaster crown moulding and just ran the individual conductors exposed.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard