ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#202780 08/27/11 01:25 PM
S
sparky Offline OP
Well here comes the hurricane

being up north, it'll just be a lotta wind and rain

but even that'll create all sorts of outages, along with the poco trucks running all over, with EC's toddling along behind them all

Of course i'm preachin' to the chior here, you all know the drill, bandiad what you can until the big yellow thing in the sky comes back around, then make it right

I never did like getting biz that way though, lotta insurance woes, and bandiads that never do get corrected

comments?

~S~

Last edited by sparky; 08/27/11 01:25 PM.
Latest Estimating Cost Guides & Software:
sparky #202782 08/27/11 02:03 PM
G
My neighbor is a lineman for FPL and he says they really try to rebuild the service up to utility standards so they don't have to go back

Greg Fretwell
S
sparky Offline OP
Our major poco's have been going through an aquistion, so while their modus operandi is somewhat in limbo at the moment, the linesmen out there are tooling up for some OT

sparky #202802 08/28/11 03:00 PM
Cat Servant
I think it's JoDee Messina, the country star, who sang the song this thread brings to mind: My Give-a-danm's Busted."

I'm old enough to mremember a US Flag with 48 stars- and we had hurricanes, tornadoes, wild fires, earthquakes, and sundry power outages even back then. The "civil defense" sort were preaching prepartion and self-reliance even then- though the 'excuse' is now largely forgotten.

Half a century of code changes and the biggest building boom in the worlds' history, and we're still getting all FUBAR'ed over a little disaster? Just what have we been doing all this time?

Instead, we get folks who have anxiety attacks because you kill the power to work on things safely- all because their oxygen concentrator will be off. I guess switching to bottles -with the help of the live-in nurse- is too stressful.

Now I've got an industrial facility that was built in 1992 with a distribution network slavaged from WW2 surplus ... and plant management cries about power quality issues.

Finally, I remember all the 'sky is falling' hysteria on the sundry media outlets for every little thing. From the storms that never arrive to Y2K. My personal favorite was 18 months ago where, across the mid-South, came the clarion call :get in your shelters NOW! Tornadoes!" I wonder how many of the drownings in Nashville that night were because folks heeded the warnings; the area flooded instead. Oops.

With a Home Depot on every corner for the past 25 years, anyone in hurricane country who does not have pre-cut plywood deserves to have their windows blown in. The carpet probably needs a good wash, anyway.

S
sparky Offline OP
Vt is in a state of emergency, mostly flooding, roads are closed, poles are dowm ,evacuations are underway in my town as i write this

My Give-a-danm's Busted.

these folks aren't>

[Linked Image from chesters-world.ca][Linked Image from operatorchan.org]

sparky #202812 08/28/11 07:36 PM
We went thru the hurricane landfall hit this weekend here on the Jersey coast. Some of us were in areas that were 'mandatory' evac zones, some of us were in 'voluntary' evac zones, a lot of us left home, some stayed. Last I heard, NJ has only two dead from the storm!

Other than the coast, the areas near the major river beds are going to suffer severe flooding, some will be record flood levels. Today (Sunday), the tides are high in the bay areas and at 5:30PM the sun is shining.

Disaster? Sure could have been worse IMHO. POCO issues? radio mentions 240K statewide with no power.

Along with ~s~; our police, fire, rescue, EMTs, Coast Guard, State Police, have not lost their 'give a damn' and I for one want to say "THANK YOU" and stay safe!

John
sparky #202845 08/30/11 02:57 PM
Quick update:
Inland areas have severe flooding.
Power outages is >300K as of Tues AM statewide & declining.

Locally, Twp I work in has flooding from raritan river and locak creeks/brooks.

46 apt units devastated in one complex; seven (7) buildings in another complex also electrically devaststed (about 100 units total there)

Death toll statewide was 6 last I heard.

John
S
sparky Offline OP

Last edited by sparky; 09/07/11 08:36 AM.
sparky #203066 09/07/11 10:36 AM
~s~:

Thank You!!!

If only that is what we had last week, and are getting now.

Last I heard, 5" in northern part of the state

John
sparky #203072 09/07/11 03:41 PM
Cat Servant
Lest I again be buried in praise for the various heros again ...

I just heard the weatherman on TV warn of a "severe clear" front coming through.

Severe clear?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard