ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 381 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
OK, it may be time for all of us to say "Thank You" to the utility linemen, and the tree crews.

There has been a lot of complaining over the radio about 'what are they doing' and 'what is taking so long'. The vast scope of the work that has to be done, is not clear to the general public.

Thanks guys!!

John
S
Just back up here, wuz about 40 odd hours out my neck of the woods.

Vermont's a bit rough about the edges at the moment, i mean, we just don't do hurricanes, or even tropical storms for that matter.

Give us 8 feet of snow, and we can deal, this isn't something we're prepared for, VT nat gaurd are tooling down main street, linesmen are doing double shifts (i'm buying the brew for any of them after this)

whole towns are just trashed via flood damage

covered bridges that have stood for over 2 centuries are gone>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyO18one8fU&feature=player_detailpage
(about 5 miles from me)

my road, >>>>
https://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m176/ChickenSteve_2006/P8270009.jpg

the 'ol timers are making lots of hurricane '38 refernces, the schools and T-halls are still full of evacuees

i've probably violated every letter of art 590 at this point, i'm just going to have to deal with it when all this H2O goes away

~S~

N
Was pretty lucky all told. Only a bit of water in the basement, and a big branch from the neighbor's tree fell into my backyard without damaging anything but his fence.

Lots of folks in my town were without power for a couple days, and a few had the roof smashed by falling trees.

G
Trees seem to be the biggest source of problems in hurricanes. My problems in Charley were caused by falling trees. Sort of makes you want to cut them all down.

Greg Fretwell
W
[Linked Image]
Public Service Electric and Gas has this parked and set up in the north end of Hackensack NJ. Looks like it may be a mobile substation. Seems the substationm in New Milford (one town north of here) was partially flooded, and the local paper says PSE&G has patched many of us onto other substations. Lucky it's not hot and humid, but we are having near brownout conditions as those other substations must be near max loading. My line voltage Sept 1 3:40 PM is 110.6VAC as reported by my "kill A Watt" meter.

H
Greg,

Thanks for thinking of me. My area Boonton NJ, got hit pretty bad with a ton of down trees. 287 north by Boonton got washed out. 2 houses here in Boonton about to fall into the Rockaway river. I also inspect in Lincoln Park, NJ. They are all over the news. That whole town is almost under water. I will have a ton of service inspections once the water goes down. The water might not go down until the weekend AND they are talking about more rain this weekend. I myself lost power on Sun. and just got it back on Wed. noon.

The kicker was I was laying in bed without power, no water, can't flush toilets, etc. YET next door was a town park, and the guys were out there playing night baseball with the lights on. SIGH!

Harold:

OK, I thought you may be busy & 'in the dark'! DCA is looking for inspectors to help out in the worst areas, they emailed all licensed inspetors Wed.

Guess you didn't have a long extension cord to go over to the ballfield? (LOL)

That portable substation (or similar) is also used for maintenance jobs at substations. I've seen it a few times in town.

John
G
Hey Caper, I thought you were an electric guy. Couldn't you get some SO cord and tap off of that panel? wink

Tell them you were going to red tag the whole place since they didn't have a dedicated 60a IEC 309 receptacle.

You can 90-4 it.

Greg Fretwell
H
John and Greg,

I knew that you guys would worry about me, but I pulled through. It does get on ones nerves though that my street, there was 1 primary wire laying on the ground, so the POCO would not energize our street. YET, the next street over had power and they were playing ball at night. Yet I couldn't flush a toilet ( I am on a well) and I was worried about a large chest freezer with a ton of meat in it.

H
John,

Yeah I saw that download today and I don't know if my town will want me to pull in another AHJ. You know how these towns are right now. They don't want to spend a penny on anything. All it means is that instead of getting 3-4 inspections during my stint in town, I will be getting 10 inspections. Also they will give it to me in my normal time slot. smile

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard