ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
ATTENTION:

Download the files below where they must be trained to remove covers on cabinets to inspect panelboards!

This is great material and reminds us of the hazards we all face. I give credit to them for this requirement.

Look here under continuing education for the links below:
http://www.ncdoi.com/osfm/engineering/hilb/nchilb.asp

CUCO8 Safety Training Part 1 Electrical Panels and the PowerPoint Presentation files.

If you know of any other areas who have the same rules in place, please post them here. thanks

Last edited by Joe Tedesco; 08/22/11 08:57 AM. Reason: Spelling

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
The first few pages of the information is to be considered some 'good reading' IMHO.

As the professionals here in this forum discover this article, I believe we all will learn what the real meaning of the term 'Qualified Person'!

I will endevor to read past the first page and a half, time permitting.

John
I agree there are some good points being made. I found the following interesting:

"Electrical -Accidents

Inspector received a face burn and eye injury when a fuse bus exploded, inspector used his hands to rotate the fuses to read rating.

Inspector received an electrical shock, electrical burn, and head injury when installing a fuse panel cover and cover came in contact with exposed fuse socket holders.

Inspector was shocked when replacing screw in the electrical panel cover, did not realize screw was wrong type and it tapped into a main cable. Shock threw him back and down a stairway. He received third degree burns on two fingers, at his wedding ring, cuts, and bruises.

Inspector prevented disaster when removing an electrical panel cover that became energized as a cover screw was being removed, he was wearing electrical hazard rated shoes, he received light shock and burn to his finger tips.

Inspector received a shock when he plug tested a receptacle that was broken, minor burns.

Inspector received a shock and facial burn when removing a Federal Pacific Stab-Lok panel cover, breaker caught on panel cover and pulled loose energizing the side of the panel and causing an arc.

Inspector received a shock, burns to his hands, and fall injury after opening a wet electrical panel in the basement area. Plumbing pipes above panel were dripping with condensate.

Inspector received a shock and fall injury when he kneeled on an electric clothes dryer to access the panel electrical panel, he slipped and touched bus bar with cover edges, he was shocked and thrown from the dryer to the floor.

Inspector received a facial burn, deep hand burn, and eye injury when a garden tool hanging over the electrical panel fell into the panel when the cover was removed causing a 220 breaker to explode and an arc flash.

Inspector received a facial burn and hand burn, when his ladder leaned into the electrical panel and his screw driver contacted the main lugs causing an arc flash throwing molten metal into the inspector’s face.

Inspector received burn and eye injury when an arc occurred at the main lug. The inspector pushed the main service insulated conductor to tuck it into the panel enclosure to install the cover, the conductor was corroded and loose the movement caused an arc.

Inspector received eye injury when client touched main bus lug with laser pointer and caused arc. Inspector received shock and temporary paralysis.

•Breaker fell out of energized exterior panel when cover was being removed.

•Inspector could not move away because he was holding exterior panel door up by his head.

•System main ground was to the plumbing which had a plastic interrupt due to a water softener system.

Inspector received eye injury and face burn, opened the electrical panel, placed his screw driver on top of the panel box, leaned in to look at breakers, screwdriver rolled off and fell into main lugs, molten aluminum from lugs flew into face.

Inspector received a shock and fall injury, panel dead front was energized because of incorrectly terminated circuits and lack of bond.

Inspector received scare of his life, older home new vinyl siding. He removed the electrical panel interior cover, thought the outside panel door was closing reached up to secure the door and discovered that the panel was not secure to the wall. The movement he had noted was actually the panel falling, he jumped back and panel fell to the ground causing several thousand dollars in property damage.

Yes, these are almost tragic accidents, which the root cause IMHO is unqualified persons performing electrical 'inspection' work.

Training! Or having a licensed professional perform the electrical evaluation would be a prudent move toward safety!

John
I have tried to make this subject clear in the past and now seeing where the requirement has become mandatory makes me very happy! Let's keep in mind that many inspectors were electricians at one time and are qualified persons.

V

Here's a link right to the slides:

http://www.ncdoi.com/OSFM/Engineering/hilb/documents/NCHIUpdate2011-12_pptslides.pdf

I was confused at first reading the replies and incident reports, I couldn't figure out why inspectors were removing covers and/or playing around inside electrical gear. I have NEVER seen that happen in 20+ years, but I think that is solely because I do not deal with resi work.

I have personally seen and heard of many more Engineers doing these same things while doing site investigations for as-built conditions.

Nice presentation.

Joe:

Are we on the same page?

"I have tried to make this subject clear in the past and now seeing where the requirement has become mandatory makes me very happy! Let's keep in mind that many inspectors were electricians at one time and are qualified persons."

I am talking about "Home Inspectors", which I really doubt a lot of of them used to be electricians!

Vin:

Thank you for the link addition!!

John
Cat Servant
An informational note of my own:

Joe tended to 'hang out' at an HI forum that had a fair number of electrically informed folks at it.

I tend to watch another HI forum where their 'gurus' have far more attitude than expertise.

When the State of Kentucky point-blank told HI's to keep out of panels, ther HI's screamed like banshees. They just feel compelled to take off the covers and poke about with every fancy gizmo with blinking lights that they can find.

I am also disturbed by the concept that asserts that watching a 15-minute power point show makes a man 'qualified,' but completing a 4-5year apprenticeship does not.

Yes, but my comment about electricians was because there are many who worked in the field who are now home inspectors. The training here will be a good reminder for them and for those who have been removing panel covers the training will give them some ideas on how to keep from getting hurt. I have asked different HI groups about this in the past and continue to see the same comments concerning safety. I bought a book written for HI's and safety is discussed.

Joe:

Yes, it's a good thing to try to save someone from what could be a greater tragedy than the incidents listed.

Yes, I agree with some points that Reno addressed also, and still lean toward a statement that is within the slides alluding to 'call a electrician'.

I do not frequent any HI sites, nor do I have any ax to grind against HIs, as long as they are professional and qualified to 'report' electrical issues that they deem potential problems.

There are quite a few relevant items within the slides, the best one IMHO alludes to calling an electrician.

John
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard