ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 269 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#202452 08/04/11 08:26 AM
S
sparky Offline OP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NwEFVUb-u0&feature=player_detailpage

Now that i've made the leap to an apprenticeship sponsor in my state, and am talking to some of the people involved , i'm getting quite the eductaion in what is a growing Skilled labor shortage

if you have a few minutes, listen to 'dirty jobs Mike' speak before Congress , he spoke well imho

~S~

sparky #202454 08/04/11 09:30 AM
~s~:
Thanks for the link!

Fact is quite a few people entering the job market are looking for jobs where they don't get 'dirty'.

I see enrolement at the Vo Tech I teach (PT) at diminishing, year by year. Some entering think that in 12 weeks they will be 'lectricians'.

Nice one, I explain what the trade entails as to conditions, advancement, financial, and what is expected of the 'employee' by the employer.

A statement from one of the journeymen I work with is 'eight for eight'. That may be a good slogan to put on the wall.

tbc

Last edited by Trumpy; 08/05/11 05:04 AM. Reason: Typo's
sparky #202456 08/04/11 01:30 PM
G
I agree. They talk about "shovel ready" jobs but I am not sure most of the "millennials" are "shovel ready" or any other job that isn't "air conditioned". They all seem to want to be hedge fund managers.
I think we are trying to get everyone in a 4 year college, loaded up with over $100,000 in debt and then they find out the only jobs that are available require some kind of trade training. Maybe we should be diverting these kids in high school and start their apprenticeship then. If we don't get our kids in these jobs, there is a Latino, waiting to hop the fence and take them.

Greg Fretwell
HotLine1 #202468 08/04/11 07:08 PM
S
sparky Offline OP
Originally Posted by HotLine1
~s~:
Thanks for the link!

Fact is quite a few people entering the job market are looking for jobs where they don't get 'dirty'.

I see enrolement at the Vo Tech I teach (PT) at diminishing, year by year. Some entering think that in 12 weeks they will be 'lectricians'.

Nite one, I explain what the trade entails as to conditions, advancement, financial, and what is expected of the 'employee' by the employer.

A ststement from one of the journeymen I work with is 'eight for eight'. That may be a good slogan to put on the wall.

tbc

HotOne, i tell anyone interested that it's at least a 8 yr investment, and that's if everything falls into place. When it's cold, you'll be cold, Hot, you'll be hot, and you'll be eating that pound of dirt way before your time

talking to some of the local apprenticeship teachers, i'm understanding enrollment is down, and they need a minimum of 8 per class, so they've opted for interactive TV around the state for 1st yr here

i mean, they used to have a waiting list

can you imagine the backburn from all this a decade from now?

~S~

Last edited by sparky; 08/04/11 07:08 PM.
gfretwell #202469 08/04/11 07:10 PM
S
sparky Offline OP
Originally Posted by gfretwell
I agree. They talk about "shovel ready" jobs but I am not sure most of the "millennials" are "shovel ready" or any other job that isn't "air conditioned". They all seem to want to be hedge fund managers.
I think we are trying to get everyone in a 4 year college, loaded up with over $100,000 in debt and then they find out the only jobs that are available require some kind of trade training. Maybe we should be diverting these kids in high school and start their apprenticeship then. If we don't get our kids in these jobs, there is a Latino, waiting to hop the fence and take them.

i'm currently working a big job with a gaggle of colledge kids waiting for their ship to come in.....~S~

sparky #202475 08/04/11 08:12 PM
S
sparky Offline OP
Gotta road to drive on?

Gotta car to drive

Got bridges, streetlights, stop lights,etc

in fact everything you drive past , or consumable you may purchace has ONE thing in common >

[Linked Image from ronaldrogers.files.wordpress.com]

~S~

sparky #202477 08/04/11 09:44 PM
T
In my neck of the woods employers expectations have gone sky high -- and their wage rates have dropped 40 percent and more.

What was $21 is now $13.

In such an environment it's absurd to think that the trades are attractive.

Further, until unlimited immigration is halted, blue collar wages can't rise.

This was seen before in the 1880 to 1910 era: wages went nowhere. A fresh batch of immigrants always made the natives compete against their poverty.

That's how the union movement got started.

Comes WWI -- immigration is halted entirely. Overnight, labor is king, and wages start to simply take off. It was typical for a man to earn but one dollar for a days work in 1905. By 1915, Henry Ford was paying an incredible $5 per day. His move was the leading edge of ramping wages and living conditions for blue collar labor.

We effectively opened the door - wide open - with the 1964 immigration 'reforms.' It is notable that since the early 70's real wages for electricians -- to include the IBEW -- have slid backwards. No one in construction could avoid the impact of under the table workforce 'participation' in the trades.

If you're a general contractor -- you find yourself underbid to the point you fold shop.

BTW, the government never includes illegal immigrant unemployment in its statistics. Yet, obviously, they ARE unemployed -- with implications for the national economy.

When you add back all of the categories of laid off/ un-hired ( fresh out of school) / illegals/ too long unemployed -- you discover that our nation has it worse than the Great Depression. The huge difference being our national / state welfare system eliminates the need for soup kitchens.

-----

Any young man looking at these trends is trying to find a port in the economic storm. Construction is going to contract yet again as this Greatest Depression slumps again.

------

Out my way there are NO ads for apprentices. The J-man glut is massive.

Tesla
Tesla #202478 08/04/11 09:55 PM
S
sparky Offline OP
Originally Posted by Tesla
In my neck of the woods employers expectations have gone sky high -- and their wage rates have dropped 40 percent and more.

What was $21 is now $13.

In such an environment it's absurd to think that the trades are attractive.

Further, until unlimited immigration is halted, blue collar wages can't rise.

This was seen before in the 1880 to 1910 era: wages went nowhere. A fresh batch of immigrants always made the natives compete against their poverty.

That's how the union movement got started.

Comes WWI -- immigration is halted entirely. Overnight, labor is king, and wages start to simply take off. It was typical for a man to earn but one dollar for a days work in 1905. By 1915, Henry Ford was paying an incredible $5 per day. His move was the leading edge of ramping wages and living conditions for blue collar labor.

We effectively opened the door - wide open - with the 1964 immigration 'reforms.' It is notable that since the early 70's real wages for electricians -- to include the IBEW -- have slid backwards. No one in construction could avoid the impact of under the table workforce 'participation' in the trades.

If you're a general contractor -- you find yourself underbid to the point you fold shop.

BTW, the government never includes illegal immigrant unemployment in its statistics. Yet, obviously, they ARE unemployed -- with implications for the national economy.

When you add back all of the categories of laid off/ un-hired ( fresh out of school) / illegals/ too long unemployed -- you discover that our nation has it worse than the Great Depression. The huge difference being our national / state welfare system eliminates the need for soup kitchens.

-----

Any young man looking at these trends is trying to find a port in the economic storm. Construction is going to contract yet again as this Greatest Depression slumps again.

------

Out my way there are NO ads for apprentices. The J-man glut is massive.

truer words have seldom been written Tesla

but i'll tell you what, the blues built this country

and the blues can rebuild it again ........just mho

~S~

sparky #202482 08/04/11 10:23 PM
Last I heard, the local hall aws clean out of apprentices here. J-men are hanging on, taking what is available. Most of the guys I know have been finding work recently. It's not booming, but there is work around. Data centers, office reno, and...solar.

Bidding is cut throat, more bids then ever, lots of hungry GCs, who are beating the subs for $$$ any way they can. An EC told me Monday that there were 14 bids on a 75k sq ft whse/office reno project.

Back to the intent of this thread....

IMHO, there are many people (not trades) that, while they are & have been unemployed for an extended period, don't want any type of job that involves physical work, and getting dirty. They also are expecting to start at a salary close to what they had in the 'office/suit' worlds in the financial sectors. Glancing thru the classified ads in the papers, I have not noticed any electrical trade ads in a long time.

John
sparky #202484 08/04/11 10:32 PM
G
Trust me, the tech jobs took a similar hit in the late 80s and 90s. That is why I got out of the computer biz and migrated toward electrical.

There are plenty of college graduates, with six figure student loans and still waiting for that big job to come along. Immigration has not done them any favors either. Companies like Microsoft will lay off an American making $60k and replace them with an H1B visa worker who will do it for $20k. It is no coincidence that there are about the same number of tech workers on unemployment around Seattle as there are H1Bs.

Try to catch the Dan Rather Reports show "No Thanks For Everything"(original broadcast 6-14-11)
http://blip.tv/hdnet-news-and-docum...hanks-for-everything-bob-malcolm-5286742

Greg Fretwell
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard