ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Cat Servant
The plastic decking is made from quite a variety of different plastics, depending on the brand. That's why I suggested it might be a brand-specific problem.

I can't speak to other brands, but I do know that Trex plants have plenty of static issues- from lint everywhere to frequent fires. I don't think you can assume any wood content helps. The plastic they use is quite the static factory.

Azek, by comparison, is a completely different plastic. I wonder how the static issue is with them.

H
It's funny that this post came up because I have the same problem and I have had it for a couple of years now. Some times it drives me crazy, then other times it doesn't happen at all. I know it has to do with the humidity and all. I was just thinking that I believe mine is attached to the wooden floor joists with metal straps under the deck. This way you attach the plastic planking, but don't see any screws or nails. Maybe if I ground those mounting straps, I could dissipate the electric discharge.

G
The real problem is that static electricity actually sits on the outside of an insulator so you need to create a conductive path to dissipate it. I doubt the charge on the surface would make it down to the clips.

You might try stapling a wire under the planks and ground it but I am skeptical it would actually do anything.

Greg Fretwell
When I worked in an ammo factory, static electrical discharges were an ongoing hazard. We all wore conducting shoes or boots, [except for electricians, who had a removeable conducting carbon tail tucked in a sock, for obvious reasons]. I always wore 100% cotton or wool socks, and avoided man-made fibres for work underwear, just to ensure I could get past the monitoring station onto the plant and more importantly, walk out again!! Not sure that any of the above measures would work if the deck discharges through you - and totally impractical for a HO to take such. Remedial measures all look to be impractical, short-lived and cost $$$.

IMHO, this decking is primarily unsuitable for purpose and the owners should tell the vendor they want all their money back inc. install costs.

Last edited by Alan Belson; 08/03/11 03:24 PM. Reason: spelling

Wood work but can't!
G
I doubt you get far with that one but who knows. Our tort lawyers have brass balls.

I bet, given the choice between the short life of wood and the maintenance, most people would live with the static.

Greg Fretwell
H
In our static charged office I carry a 1 million ohm resistor in my pocket. I touch it to metal after walking around a bit.
Maybe they could solder one to the top of that metal cap and use it as a discharge point.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard